“La Casa Norte’s is to serve youth and families confronting homelessness. We provide access to stable housing and deliver comprehensive services that act as a catalyst to transform lives and communities.” La Casa Norte’s mission and philosophy of service is to impact the social issues of homelessness at the individual and community levels.
Casa Corazón is aimed at transforming the lives of homeless and at-risk youth, ages 16-24, by providing them with the stability, support, and guidance they need in order to become thriving members of society. Program participants will receive street outreach and access to a variety of services including a drop in center with youth programming and meals, basic needs such as transportation and toiletries, and case management services focusing on a holistic, strength-based approach, with a focus on housing stability and educational, job readiness and placement.
This opening requires travel between our Northside and Southside programs of Casa Corazon located in the Logan Square and Back of the Yards community. The hours of this position are 12pm-9pm.
Expected Goals and Objectives
Goal One: To provide comprehensive advocacy and drop-in services to homeless youth ages 16-24
The primary responsibility of full time YES worker is to develop, organize and delegate scheduled programing throughout the day, including groups, engagement activities, special activities, community engagement, neighborhood perimeter checks, security check in’s. This person must be able to multi task, have an acute attention to detail and be able to work in a highly active, intense environment. They will be accountable to the Program Coordinator as well as the Lead Case management team to make sure that programming is being delivered from a Harm Reduction standpoint and is habitual, comprehensive, engaging and therapeutic.
- Maintain professional relationships with all staff and clients
- Support coverage and coordinate activities as necessary during drop in hours.
- Providing life skills training, counseling, support, and guidance to youth as they work to overcome barriers to housing, employment and education.
- Take advantage of key “teachable moments” to help youth develop skills in decision-making, conflict resolution, time management, etc.
- Provide crisis intervention services to Casa Corazon youth as necessary
- Accurately tracking and documenting all services provided utilizing internal database.
- Plan a monthly schedule for events, activities, and food menu.
- Deliver twice weekly psychoeducational programming to youth during drop-in hours.
- Collaborate with other internal programs to provide assistance to youth
Goal Two: To work in a team approach to maintain a positive and safe milieu at Casa Corazon
- Observes environment to ensure safety of youth and staff by responding to emergencies, building repairs, safety hazards, crisis and incidents.
- Maintains a safe and healthy environment for staff and Youth through shared responsibilities of cleaning.
- Maintain on-going dialogue with staff around areas of youth successes and challenges.
- Follow up with any incident in a timely manner utilizing a strength base approach.
Goal Three: Administrative Responsibilities
Will be responsible for the data entry of HMIS and Client track on a daily basis
- Will maintain organization and inventory of all toiletries, food, bus cards and other essential items.
- Teach and implement the declaration of non-violence at Casa Corazon.
- Intermittently gather and complete data entry for various grant reports and development purposes.
- Work in conjunction with Program Manager and Drop in Coordinator to meet program outcomes.
Goal Four: Program and Building Maintenance
- Will be responsible for delegating , cleaning, organizing and maintaining food pantry, freezers, refrigerators, kitchen up to GCFD and management standards
- Will be accountable to program coordinator for handing over the shift to the beds team in an organized, clean manner. Including handing in supporting paperwork each night to Program coordinator
- Will demonstrate a strong collaboration with the emergency beds team and keep communication transparent and supportive in order to work collaboratively across Casa Corazon Programs