|The City of Asheville is excited to hire a Solid Waste Division Manager for Public Works Department. This position is a full-time exempt position within the Sanitation Division. The purpose of this position is to perform administrative and supervisory functions in the coordination of the City's solid waste management and recycling programs. |
The ideal candidate for this position will have at least 7+ years experience in solid waste management as well as recycling and composting. A Bachelor's degree in Waste Management, Environmental Science, Civil Engineering and/or Business is highly preferred. Additionally, they will have experience in route optimization/maximization, GIS, asset management, sustainability business practices, have excellent communication skills and supervisory experience. Experience in municipal and the private sector industries are preferred as well.
Work Schedule: Monday - Thursday 7:00 AM -5:30 PM (4-day workweek/40 hours per week).
City of Asheville Benefits Package Includes:
Health Insurance (choice of plans)
Health Services Clinic available to employee and dependents during work hours
Nationally recognized disease management programs
5% employer contribution to 401(k)
Contributory retirement system (LGERS)
12 days paid vacation leave per year; increases with service to 20 days per year
12 days paid sick leave per year; increases with service to 15 days per year
11 paid holidays per year
Employee Assistance Program
Sick Leave Sharing Bank
Medical and Dependent Care Reimbursement Plans
Tuition Reimbursement Program
Relocation Assistance (Negotiable)
Uniforms provided at no cost to employee!
Access to internal promotional opportunities
Professional development opportunities
This position is open until filled with the initial review of resumes beginning April 27, 2017.
| Examples of Duties: |
|Essential Duties and Responsibilities: |
- Coordinates staff, equipment and daily collections by prioritizing collections via software systems and ensuring proper teamwork and efficiency in collection of trash, brush, leaves and bulky items.
- Prepares divisional and department staff reports by researching current trends in trash collection systems and diversion methods, analyzing COA operations with public sector and generating a variety of reports.
- Manages staff by coordinating safety training, implementing and applying code enforcement for Solid Waste Ordinance, conducting and reviewing staff evaluations and overseeing staff disciplinary issues.
- Oversees divisional budget by analyzing trends, preparing budget, monitoring revenue and expenses and approving expenditures.
- Provides customer service by responding to inquiries or issues from City employees and residents regarding solid waste disposal.
- Develops and implements long and short term goals for the division by maintaining knowledge of trends and developments in solid waste management, attending meetings and conferences for information and professional development and coordinating and facilitating meetings with subordinate employees.
- Negotiates and administers contracts and oversees recycling contract.
- Manages projects by reviewing project progression, identifying problems and solutions and communicating with departments and customers.
- Identifies processes in need of improvement and/or clarification and provides written standard operating procedures.
- Performs other similar duties as required.