Located in central Denver's historic Washington Park residential neighborhood, associates at Porter Adventist Hospital enjoy beautiful surroundings, leading technology, outstanding leadership and easy access to everything great central Denver has to offer. As a full-service Magnet® designated, 368-bed acute-care referral center specializing in cancer care, joint replacement, spinal care, advanced robotic surgery and organ transplantation, Porter Adventist Hospital treats some of the region's most complex medical cases and surgery patients. Our Heart and Vascular Institute is the first and only program in Colorado to receive full Heart Failure Accreditation status from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care. We have also received numerous awards and honors including: The Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award (2014); top 50th orthopedic program ranking by U.S. News & World Report with high performing honors in eight specialties (2014); an "A" rating from the Leapfrog Group for Patient Safety (2014), as well as many others. The Porter tradition of blending science and spirit began more than 75 years ago by Denver businessman Henry Porter with his generous donation after he experienced care at a Seventh Day Adventist Facility in CA and sought to bring that same philosophy of care to Denver. If you are ready for a career where the work you do truly transcends the walls of a hospital, we invite you to learn more at: http://www.porterhospital.org/
Job Description/Job Posting ID: 82224
Recruiter Contact: HannahWair@Centura.org
Clinic/Department: 7318 PAH APOTHECARE PHAR OP
Hospital: PORTER ADVENTIST HOSPITAL
Schedule: Must have availability to cover day shifts 9am-6:30 M-F time frame. Estimated to be 1-2 shifts per week.
This is a Per Requested Need (PRN) or 'as needed' position and there are not a guaranteed number of hours offered each week. This position is not benefits eligible.
This position is PRN or Per Requested Need. Hours will vary depending on candidate's availability and the needs of the department. This position is not eligible for benefits.
Assist the Pharmacist in prioritizing medication orders, and works closely with Pharmacist(s) in determining routine daily department needs. Performs medication order functions such as order interpretation, preparation, drug distribution, and quality assurance. Provides exemplary customer service and respect at all times during interactions with patients, customers, healthcare providers and other associates. The outpatient/retail pharmacy technician is responsible for all pharmacy technician activities and adhering to assigned work schedules. Provide direction and guidance to other technicians and pharmacy interns during their training in pharmacy drug distribution and operational matters when requested.
work experience requirements
- Prior retail or hospital outpatient pharmacy technician experience preferred
- Certification with the national Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)
- Attains professional growth by attending or participating in a minimum of 10 hours of continuing education annually.
Position duties (essential functions, INCLUDE % OF TIME)
PRESCRIPTION ORDER ENTRY 25%
- Receives prescriptions from patient and clarifies any needed/required information
- Ensure that all regulatory requirements of each prescription are met before processing the order
- Prioritizes prescriptions to be filled in the order of importance and urgency
- Accurately interprets and enters information from patient prescriptions into the pharmacy computer system
- Prepares prescription labels accurately and completely
- Accurately places and receives phone requests for prescription refills and clarifications
- Appropriately notifies pharmacist when a Drug Utilization Review (DUR) message appears per pharmacy policy
- Call insurance companies to clarify rejections and prior-authorizations
- Communicate any problems or questions with prescriptions to Pharmacist for guidance and proper triaging
- Accurately and completely document notes in the computer profile and hardcopies as appropriate
- Understands and can properly update pricing of medications in computer to ensure accurate reimbursement
- Identifies prescriptions that are being under-reimbursed and looks for cheaper alternatives; Triages such orders for MAC Requests from Third Party Payers as appropriate
- Continuously processes all new prescriptions, requested refills, messages, and Integrated Voice Response (IVR) refills as applicable to keep up with the work flow
DRUG DISPENSING - 25%
- Accurately selects the correct drug and dispenses the correct quantity when preparing medications
- Demonstrates reasonable knowledge of and complies with regulations governing the practice of pharmacy.
- Exhibits required skills in performing all aspects of the drug dispensing process
- Exhibits knowledge of pharmacy calculations, expected drug knowledge, and retail pharmacy policies and procedures
- Properly document dispensing activities as required by pharmacy policy
INVENTORY - 10%
- Orders quantities of drugs necessary to fulfill the prescriptions and to maintain reasonable inventory levels
- Identifies drugs or supplies that appear to be stocked in excess and actively participates in return these items for credit
- Checks inventory as assigned observing expiration dates of drugs, and removes outdated inventory as appropriate.
- Places drugs in proper location and rotates stock
- Observes proper storage requirements for drugs
- Accurately places orders to wholesalers and authorized suppliers when required/requested
- Manages returns to wholesalers and reverse distributors
CLERICAL DUTIES - 10%
- Performs clerical responsibilities as assigned.
- Promptly answers the phone and greets customers in a friendly and courteous manner
- Continuously checks phone messages and follows through on all special requests as needed
- Consistently follow-up on all doctor calls and refill requests
- Proactively communicates with patients and other co-workers when a problem arises that may prevent an order from being ready when promised
- Ensures that all prescription that are picked up are signed for by recipient to ensure readiness for pharmacy audits
- Accurately conducts all register, cash and credit card transactions
- Accurately enters information relating to billing for workers compensation and automobile claims. Entries are made in a timely manner.
- Assists in reconciliation, inventory monitoring and restocking of controlled drugs in a secure manner as assigned.
- Interacts with customers, clients, and other healthcare providers in a professional, friendly and helpful manner at all times
- Handles difficult customer problems or situations with a helpful and constructive approach
- Appropriately refers problems to pharmacist or manager on duty
- Promotes effective relationships with co-workers and other associates
- Accepts constructive comments
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, department and hospital records.
- Maintains professional image.
- Actively contributes to team goals, and proactively participates in team meetings, process improvement and workflow enhancement projects.
* This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned.
X Light Work - exert/lift up to 20 lbs force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs frequently)
Important notification to applicants as of Nov. 20, 2014: Effective Jan. 1, 2015, Centura Health will no longer hire tobacco users in Colorado and Kansas. The change to our policy does not apply to associates hired on or before Dec. 31, 2014. Centura Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.