About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, we've been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Mills Educational Talent Search Program Director
Mills College is home to the Mills Educational Talent Search TRIO Program(METS) and serves approximately 600 students in Oakland each year. TRIO Programs are educational opportunity outreach programs designed to motivate and educationally support students from disadvantaged backgrounds. The METS program provides academic, college prep, career exploration, and financial literacy services to its participants. Our goal is to support students through high school graduation and help them gain access to a postsecondary education. The Summer Enrichment Program will provide academic instruction in core subjects: English, Sciences, and Mathematics. The METS Summer Enrichment Program will also provide courses and workshops exploring various topics: Life Skills, Study Skills, College Preparation, Career Exploration, and Cultural Awareness.
Summer Enrichment Program Description
The METS Program offers a five-week summer academic enrichment program for students entering grades 6th-12th. The METS summer program will be conducted at Life Academy a local high school in the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD). Staff orientations will take place June 13th -14th. Instruction for the METS Summer Program is scheduled to begin Monday, June 19th and continues through Friday, July 21st. The daily instructional schedule is 8:30am-2:30pm, Monday ?Friday. The student/parent orientation on Wednesday, June 14, and the METS staff closing session on Monday, July 24th are mandatory events for all summer staff. Exact times to be announced prior to hiring.
Mills College Educational Talent Search Program is currently seeking 4-6 highly motivated, knowledgeable, creative, engaging, student focused, experienced educators to teach academic courses in English, Science, Mathematics, and/or elective courses in Life/Study Skills and College/Career/Cultural Awareness. Courses will be taught to middle school students in 6th-8th grades and high school students in 9th -12th grades. The positions require someone who has passion, innovation, and knowledge to motivate and challenge students to generate skills necessary for college success. We seek instructors who can develop strong curriculum that addresses students' needs, interests, abilities, and curiosities in the subject.
Each course will be defined by:
Each instructor will develop a course proposal or set of lesson plans that state goals/objectives, student learning outcomes, methods needed to obtain goals/objectives/outcomes. At the conclusion of the session, the instructor will write a narrative evaluation on each student that outlines:
- Small classes (15-20 students)
- Daily in-class instruction, group work, real-world application of concepts taught, quizzes
- Pre & post assessments
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- How student met goals/objectives/outcomes of class
- Academic strengths and challenges throughout course
- Character strengths and challenges throughout course
- Other areas that need further development
- Final grade for class
- Develops and implements effective units, lessons and classroom activities
- Organizes class systems/procedures and manages student behavior to ensure all students are fully engaged in learning; supports systems/procedures of classroom teachers
- Design and implement a course syllabus that effectively outlines daily concepts covered, in-class & home assignments, quizzes, group work, projects, post assessment
- Establish classroom management policies and procedures needed to maintain a productive classroom environment
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, METS mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior
- Participate in METS teacher staff meetings
- Chaperone weekly field trips offered during program.
- Attend teacher orientation/planning session(s), program activities, & final teacher evaluation closing session.
- Perform other related duties as needed
Education & Experience
Skills & Knowledge
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree. Preferred candidate holds Teaching Credential or working towards Teaching Credential.
- Minimum 2 years experience teaching in related subject.
- Minimum 2 years direct working relationship/or teaching low-income, first-generation college-bound students.
- Strong preference given to Oakland Unified School District teachers.
SALARY: Depending on experience and number of courses hired to teach (1-3 courses), plus state-mandated benefits including Social Security, State Disability Insurance, Workers' Compensation Insurance, and Unemployment Insurance.
- Thorough knowledge of subject matter and skill acquisition in subject being taught
- Knowledgeable of California Content standards for subject area (academic courses)
- Knowledge of child/adolescent development and different learning styles
- Skills and knowledge to effectively work with students with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic and ethnic backgrounds
- Ability to understand and enforce all METS Program policies
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
Please submit at http://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=82752
Before an offer can be made finalists will be required to pass a fingerprint background check.
- Cover letter specifying your qualifications & expertise based on outline job description
- Resume and contact information for 3 references
- Sample course proposal/syllabus
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency