About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
These positions are not available to Virginia Tech students. VT students should not apply through this site but may contact the Moss Arts Center directly to inquire about available student positions.
The Moss Arts Center Production Services Wage Pool opens/closes each January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1. You are responsible for reapplying each quarter for your application to remain active.
The Production Services Wage Pool positions perform a variety of behind the scenes work to assist with live productions at the Moss Arts Center. Positions require previous theatrical experience and tasks may include unloading trucks, carpentry (use of power and hand tools) , moving scenery, setting up and/or operating lighting and sound equipment, and occasionally assisting performers. Positions require evening and weekend availability, punctuality, the ability to lift heavy loads, work on ladders, and comfort with heights. Position requires previous experience with safety protocols for stage, shop, and catwalk work.
Responsibilities may include:
- Move equipment and supplies.
- Load and unload equipment of incoming performance groups.
- Install road-company lighting and sound equipment and scenery.
- Load and unload weight from counterweight rigging system. Assist with motorized rigging.
- Hang Moss Arts Center lighting equipment and set up Moss Arts Center sound equipment; tear-down after use.
- Clean stages, storage, and other work areas.
- Perform cleaning and light-duty maintenance of stage, lighting, sound, and related equipment.
- Perform light-duty carpentry and painting.
- Launder and press performer costumes and wardrobe.
- Operate control consoles for lighting, audio, and video systems.
- Operate "fly" system for raising and lowering scenery, lighting, etc.
- Operate motorized systems.
- Perform non-operator tasks during the run of a show, including moving scenery and microphones, assisting with wardrobe, etc.
- Assist with intermission changeovers and stage resets.
- Experience in a maintenance or laborer environment, including safe practices.
- Strong customer service and/or experience working as part of a team
- Proven record of punctuality.
- Willingness and ability to work evening and weekend hours.
- Strong communication skills.
- Performing arts production services experience.
- Experience in a technical skill area related to performing arts production.
Employee Category: Hourly Wage Staff, limited to 1500 hrs/year
Appointment Type: Temp, non-salaried wage
Percent Employment: Part-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 04/15/2017