| Cornell Health is a fully accredited ambulatory care center with more than 200 employees, committed to providing integrated and culturally sensitive medical, mental health, health promotion and public health services for the diverse Cornell community. Cornell Health is nationally recognized for innovation and leadership in the development of integrated, cost-effective, and community-based services and campus health initiatives.|
Cornell University Health Services Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), is seeking a full-time, 11 month, Behavioral Health Consultant. CAPS is a large (35+ staff) multidisciplinary service with primary responsibility for the mental health of the Cornell University community. CAPS provides services to approximately 4,500 students per year for more than 24,000 visits.
As a member of an integrated health team reporting through Counseling & Psychological Services, the Behavioral Health Consultant will:
- Provide assessment, consultation, and brief intervention for psychological/psychiatric concerns and/or disorders.
- Assess needs of primary care providers related to behavioral health services.
- Facilitate appropriate referrals to specialty care, traditional counseling services, campus services, community services and/or providers.
- Provide effective treatment planning and assisting clients in successfully achieving goals.
- Evaluate crisis situations and apply appropriate interventions.
- Provide walk-in behavioral health services as needed.
- Provide Saturday coverage and after-hours on-call service as assigned.
- Actively participate in meetings that support the University Health Service's collaborative health care model to provide collaborative care for students.
- Compile or develop educational materials to support effective brief interventions.
- Serve as liaison between departments as needed.
- Work under the clinical supervision of the Behavioral Health Consultant Program Coordinator (and, as needed, the CAPS Assistant Director for Clinical Programs) and the joint administrative supervision the Medical Director and CAPS Director.
This position is considered an Essential Employees; those needed on campus to meet the needs of students, research programs, or general operations when the university is in reduced operating status or closed
Employees are required to report misses and near misses immediately to supervisor and via occurrence report.
This position is OSHA category BBP1; TB1; ERG2.
- Master's Degree in Social Work or doctorate in Clinical/Counseling Psychology. CSW's must obtain LCSW within 4 years of hire and the LCSW-R within an additional 4 years. Psychologist's must obtain NYS license within 4 years of hire. Three but less than 5 years of experience or equivalent. Working knowledge of behavioral medicine and evidence-based treatments for mental health conditions.
- Interest in development of additional knowledge of behavioral interventions related to medical conditions.
- Ability to work through brief patient contacts as well as to make quick and accurate clinical assessments of behavioral conditions.
- Ability to adapt to pace of primary care, working with an interdisciplinary team.
- Strong communication skills, including consistent follow up with medical providers.
- Good knowledge of psycho-pharmacology.
- Familiarly with Point and Click or other electronic health record system.
- CPR-BLS level certification required within one year of employment and maintained biannually.
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Relocation assistance will be provided.
- Computer Skills: to perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software.
- Ability to adapt to varying professional disciplines.
When applying through our system, please remember to attach your application materials (Cover letter and Resume/CV) in either Microsoft Word or PDF format. In the Experience section of your application, use the Paperclip icon to search for file(s) or use the 'Drop Files Here' box to manually drag document(s) into your application. For a more detailed description and instructions on how to apply online please go to https://hr.cornell.edu/jobs/how-we-hire.
Please note: Cornell Employees must apply through the Internal Cornell Career site
University Job Title:Counselor Therapist II
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Contact Name:Cassie Palladino
Number of Openings:1
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.2017-04-03-07:00