Burgundy Farm Country Day School is a progressive school on a pastoral 25-acre campus near Alexandria, Virginia, serving 275 children in junior kindergarten through 8th grade. Burgundy believes children learn best in an inclusive, creative and nurturing environment that engages the whole child. Our innovative, hands-on approach to education cultivates independent thinking, promotes academic excellence, instills respect for diversity, and teaches responsibility for self, for others, and for the natural world. For more information, visit www.burgundyfarm.org.
The Burgundy Farm Middle School Mathematics Specialist and Teacher takes on a dynamic leadership and support role in mathematics throughout the entire school through teacher training and teachers and student support and through innovation and curriculum development. Additionally, they will teach 2-3 sections of Middle School math each day, support advisory activities, and have other Middle School duties as assigned. The math teacher and specialist reports directly to the Middle School Head/Coordinator as a teacher-advisor but answers to the Assistant Head of School and academic leadership team with regards to the math specialist work.
The qualified candidate will have:
- Genuine love of learning and desire to work with children as a facilitator of learning
- Collaborative spirit and interest in team-teaching and creating a joyful learning environment
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to organize curriculum and lead teachers in curriculum planning and best practice
- Willingness to teach and adapt a constructivist, inquiry-based mathematics curriculum
- Commitment to teaching diverse learning styles and differentiated instruction
- Interest in outdoor, hands-on and environmental education
- Interest and commitment to principle of diversity and inclusion
- A degree with a major in Mathematics Education, Mathematics or related field
Specific Roles & Responsibilities:
- Research, prepare materials, and identify resources and curriculum materials for use by the school and teachers to best support its students
- Provide on-site staff development to ensure best practice in mathematics education
- Provide support and assistance to classroom teachers in the implementation of the Lower School’s newly adopted math program, TERC Investigations
- Instruct individual and small groups of students as needed for the purpose of improving mathematics achievement
- Lead regular after school math activities for both lower and middle school students
- Participate in curriculum development, committee, and task force work
- Perform necessary administrative tasks and attend required meetings and events
- Engage in reflective practice and professional growth opportunities
- Arrive by 8:00 a.m., depart after 3:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, except Tuesday, when faculty meetings begin at 3:30 p.m. and end at 5:00 p.m.
- The School is closed for most national holidays, as well as Winter and Spring Break.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salaries are based on a competitive independent school scale with increases for advanced degrees and experience; $2000 step increase for master’s degree.
- Health, dental, life insurance, and long-term disability, as well as a retirement plan, are offered in a cafeteria plan to all full-time employees
- $7400 applied toward a benefit plan or taken as cash remuneration.
- a 403(b) plan with TIAA, with an initial 3% employer contribution and then 6% employer contribution after two years, irrespective of employee contribution.
- A tuition benefit (50% discount) is offered for one qualified child attending Burgundy for children of 70% to full-time employees only. (Fac-staff children are eligible for additional financial aid also.)
How to Apply: Please submit a letter of interest and resume to Elizabeth Lener, Assistant Head of School, email@example.com No phone calls please.
Burgundy Farm Country Day School actively maintains its commitment to equal opportunity for all employees. To fulfill this commitment, we recruit, hire, promote, and retain individuals in all job titles without regard to race, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, or disability.