Dean of Student Life and Diversity
Reports to: Head of School
Position: 1.0 FTE
Primary responsibilities include fostering an atmosphere conducive to learning and leading the implementation of the school’s diversity efforts.
1. Student Life Responsibilities:
- Work with the Head of School to develop and manage behavioral and social policies, protocols, and practices that serve to support student development, learning, health, and safety.
- Promote high standards and expectations for academic performance, student leadership, personal integrity, and community responsibility.
- Oversee student conduct and maintain student discipline.
- Oversee and supervise Advisory Program.
- Address social and behavioral infractions; maintain correspondence related to conduct with parents and advisors.
- Ensure the health and safety of students on campus.
- Coordinate new-student orientation.
- Coordinate special programs and events for attendance by the student body such as assemblies, Convocation, Graduation, etc.
- Develop and implement the Student Handbook.
- Keep the Head of School informed regarding student issues and campus life.
- Perform other duties as assigned by and in support of the Head of School.
2. Diversity and Equity Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic leadership in the area of diversity and inclusion.
- Collaborate with the Board of Trustees Diversity & Equity Committee in the development and implementation of a diversity strategic plan, based upon the school's mission and long-range plan.
- In collaboration with the Head of School, improve effectiveness and success in recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff.
- With the Assistant Head and faculty members, evaluate, advise on, and support development of an inclusive and multicultural curriculum
- Work with the Admission Office to recruit, welcome, and retain students from diverse backgrounds.
- Serve as school liaison to the Rainier Scholars program, and Rainier Scholar families.
- Act as liaison to and develop strong relationships with the various diversity and inclusion-related groups in the school, including affinity groups and talking circles, and respond to diversity- and equity-related issues among the student body as they arise.
- Support and develop student diversity leadership.
- Plan, develop, and market diversity and inclusion-focused education, programs, and events for faculty, staff, students, and families; and professional development workshops and programming for faculty and staff.
- Act as a liaison between the school and local communities of color to serve these communities better and to support the school’s outreach and admissions marketing and recruitment programs.
- Work with the communications office to publicize diversity-related events, educational opportunities, workshops, etc. for students, faculty, families, and the local community.
- Represent the school at local, regional, and national multicultural events as determined in conjunction with the Head of School.
- Promote best practices with respect to diversity issues.
Mission: Billings Middle School is a dynamic academic community intentionally designed to stretch, support, and inspire early adolescent learners.
At Billings, each student develops a rigor of intellect and creativity, powerful ways to communicate and collaborate, confidence and self-knowing, and an openness to the possibilities of new information and systems of thought.
Vision Statement: Our students become global citizens inspired to promote a socially just, sustainable world.
Our faculty embody a professional model of collegiality & innovation and contribute to the understanding & development of best practices for early adolescent teaching.
Our school plays an integral role in the life of our students, faculty, families and community so that our network of lifelong learners may share a common point of origin and a growth mindset that propels and sustains them.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: Billings Middle School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, physical ability, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
Statement on social justice and global sustainability: Billings Middle School has a unique opportunity to model a lifelong commitment to promoting global sustainability because our students are beginning to consciously reconcile their emerging self-image with a broader sense of the world and their purpose within it.