The Office of Global Marketing is moving into the role of being one of the chief content creators for Northwestern University on an enterprise level. As the Office grows in scope and scale of work, the members need to be able to produce pieces of work telling the university story quickly and nimbly across a number of different platforms. The Digital Video Editor role will be pivotal crafting those stories, both in post-production, as well as some work in production. With the guidance of the Director of Creative Production, the Digital Video editor will work with a small but agile team to develop, produce, and bring stories to completion in a variety of video formats and lengths.
Video and Photo Editing
- Own the end-to-end edit of short- and long-form video content, including marketing videos, interviews, profiles, conversations, announcements, events, and incorporation of graphical overlays as well as photography.
- Edit video content in lengths from 15 seconds to long form.
- Edit videos for multiple online marketing channels including, but not limited to, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and Email.
- Maintain an organized post-production process including asset management, project management, and post-production review.
- Process, log and archive footage.
- Troubleshoot technical issues as they arise.
- Work in a dynamic production environment; helping to define the artistic vision of the Northwestern brand, develop solutions and create innovative production concepts
- Communicate with both internal and external constituencies.
- Operate digital camera(s), set up field and studio lighting for single and multi-camera shoots, as well as set up and operate audio recording and monitoring equipment both individually and as part of a crew.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's in Film/Video Production or related field.
- 2+ years editing experience (especially with Adobe Premiere, multicam editing).
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Experience with Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Creative Suite, and various software required for color correction, basic on-screen graphics, and production of final picture.
- Experience audio editing, music editing, mixing and mastering, Adobe Creative Suite, various software and standards for video encoding, authoring and output for distribution to various formats, including web-distribution, DVD, and others as necessary.
- Familiarity with professional video production procedures, practices, techniques, technology, and terminology.
- Ability to operate one or more cameras as part of single- or multi-camera shoots.
- Experience operating camera, lighting, and audio equipment.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Exceptional eye for video production, photography, and visual communication, useful for editing footage.
- Strong communication and organizational skills and the ability to follow direction and work under the guidance of Director of Creative Production.
- Strong working knowledge of video ingest and logging process, transcoding and various video codecs, formats and standards.
- Well versed in the fundamentals of good storytelling with strong editing skills and an understanding of industry trends.
- Experience crafting compelling and accessible video narratives from complex subject matter.
- Strong time-management skills and ability to prioritize and juggle concurring projects and multiple requirements.
- Strong sense for organization and problem solving.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.