Northwestern’s Administrative Systems department in the central IT unit is looking for a full-time Senior Developer, Data Warehouse. Under minimal direction, the Senior Developer (Data Warehouse) designs, develops, and maintains data structures to support reporting and analytics at Northwestern. In this role, you will work in an agile, collaborative team of ETL developers, report developers, and systems analysts to empower members of the Northwestern community to make data-driven decisions.
Participates as technical expert in design, development, coding, testing, and/or debugging of major new software and/or significant enhancements to existing software which may include applications over multiple platforms. Guides and advises junior staff. Manages complex projects independently and assists in estimating and planning for future development work. Performs complex system integration tasks. Creates ETL processes to load the enterprise data warehouse and other data structures used for reporting and analytics.
- Provides application development leadership for new and existing software applications.
- Partners with user in designing features for technology.
- Provides recommendation on how to enhance system for future growth.
- Advises/recommends project and activities as related to system/architectural direction and strategy.
- Develops and implements procedures for data security, management and compliance
- Creates and maintains code documentation.
- Creates ad hoc administrative reports.
- Delivers system presentations and overviews.
- Evaluates feature/upgrade/change requests and recommends action.
- Researches new technologies to enhance current system.
- Provides technical leadership on projects.
- Acts as subject matter expert (SME) in appropriate technologies and business domain.
- Designs, codes, tests, debugs and documents all phases of applications development.
- Codes software applications adhering to designs supporting internal business requirements or external user.
- Troubleshoots complex, difficult issues.
- Designs databases and data structures.
- Provides recommendations on how to enhance system to meet full business requirements.
- Determines project feasibility and how to integrate with current system.
- Provides work direction to team members.
- Supervises staff such as team members, subordinates, contractors, vendors, students, etc.
- Coaches and mentors staff.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
- Provides input to staff assignments.
- Provides input to performance evaluations for junior team members.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's in computer science, business or other relevant degree or equivalent experience of 5 years.
- 5 years relevant experience.
- Please see information highlighted in tables below:
- Enterprise Applications: BI, CATracks, Cognos BI, FAMIS, GRANITE, InfoEd, PeopleSoft Campus Solutions (SES), PeopleSoft Financials/SCM (NU Financials), PeopleSoft HRMS (FASIS).
- Infrastructure: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook), Oracle and Oracle RAC, SQL, Windows Operating System, IBM DataStage, TOAD, Erwin.
- Programming Languages and Frameworks: PL/SQL, Kimball Data Warehouses.
- Analytical: critical thinking, business intelligence application design, data modeling, data warehouse design/develop, database design/ data structure, Debugging, decision making, judgment, metadata creation and management, problem solving, Troubleshooting, use-case analysis.
- Project: agile environment, Code documentation, collaboration and teamwork, cost/benefit analysis, evaluate resources, facilitate collaboration, functional documentation, iterative & incremental development, organizational skills, planning, Scrum project framework, workflow development & documentation
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- 5 years of recent IBM DataStage experience delivering into data warehouses / data marts
- Deep understanding of Kimball-style architecture
- 1-2 year experience building new star-schemas or modifying existing models
- 5 years working on complex SQL queries
- Knowledge of data modeling, database administration, and performance tuning
- Excellent problem solving / analytical thinking skills
- Experience with Oracle databases 11g and higher.
- Experience in higher education.
- Experience with an enterprise scheduler such as Autosys.
- Experience with Data Modelling tools such as ERwin or IBM Data Architect.
- Experience with other IBM InfoSphere tools such as Quality Stage, Information Analyzer, and/or Information Governance Catalog.
- Experience with agile development methodology.
- Experience working with PeopleSoft data sources.
- Experience with Cognos or other Business Intelligence tools.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Prefers working in a collaborative, cross-team capacity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate technical details to non-technical audience.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.