Reporting to the Technical Services Manager, who in turn reports to the Chief Information Officer, the Computer Support Specialist provides customer-facing support for college computer and telecommunication systems. S/he is responsible for imaging, testing, deploying, maintaining, and troubleshooting Menlo College computers and phones, utilizing part-time student employees where appropriate. This support includes working collaboratively with other staff and faculty to define the specifications, plan for changes, implement, and maintain desktop and laptop computers throughout campus. The Computer Support Specialist is an important member of the Help Desk team, which is led by the Technical Services Manager and includes the Classroom Support Specialist along with several part-time students. As part of a small team, the Computer Support Specialist will occasionally be called upon to back up other staff who are on leave in order to provide a seamless support experience. A flexible and friendly approach to customer service and the ability to positively interact with a diverse community is required.
Primary Technologies Used:
- Menlo is primarily a Windows-based institution, with over 400 physical and virtual Windows devices and about a dozen Macintosh computers.
- Current Windows environment and management tools includes Windows 7, Bitlocker, Active Directory Group Policy, KACE, DeepFreeze, Unidesk virtual infrastructure, and VMware vSphere; current Macintosh tools include JAMF Software’s Casper Suite and DeepFreeze.
- Menlo currently has a Mitel VOIP phone system.
- Software packages licensed by Menlo and which the Desktop Support Specialist may be called upon to deploy, troubleshoot, and upgrade includes, but is not limited to: Microsoft Office, Jenzabar EX, SPSS, Endnote, Adobe Create Suite, DeepFreeze, Insight, Kurzweil 300
- Successfully resolve assigned help desk tickets and email, phone, and walk-up requests for hardware and software support with a prompt and friendly demeanor
- Ensure that Menlo College’s Windows and Macintosh computers located throughout campus are continually working as designed, including monitoring them, patching them, coordinating with outside repair vendors, installing replacement parts, and entering and tracking support requests in the Help Desk ticketing system
- Collaborate with the Classroom Support Specialist and other IT staff to create and deploy Unidesk images and layers for Menlo computer labs and employee VDIs
- Coordinate add/change/moves to the College’s phone system, including voicemail resets, reassigning extensions, and troubleshooting phones
- Maintain technology available for check-out, including iOS, chromebook, and Windows devices, in good working order and with up-to-date systems
- Develop self-help documentation, tutorials, screencasting videos, or other content to assist faculty, staff, and students with the use of college computing and phone technology, with the goal of reducing dependency on the help desk
- Assist students with technical support needs including password resets and wireless access troubleshooting; identify other application “access” issues such as LMS course access, billing issues, and registration problems, and collaborate with appropriate IT and non-IT staff to resolve; and provide general advice and guidance to students about their personal computer hardware and software (Menlo College does not directly support student-owned equipment)
- Collaborate with the Technology Services Manager to ensure that computer and software configurations align with faculty and staff needs as well as Menlo College Information Security requirements
- Proactively research and evaluate new operating systems and applications as they are released, and collaborate with other OIT staff on the appropriate timing of new operating system and application deployment campus wide
- Contribute to a friendly, collaborative, and customer-oriented Help Desk Team. As a member of a small team, serves as a backup to other members of the Help Desk during absences
- Demonstrate commitment to the mission of Menlo College by protecting college data and resources, modeling customer service and communication skills, and providing support that helps contribute to the success of our students
- Be a positive OIT team member by fostering excellent communication and collaboration skills, celebrating individual and team successes, recognizing and utilizing our diverse skills, and contributing to team projects
- Perform other duties as assigned