Northwestern University is developing and implementing a comprehensive strategic plan to coordinate our research, teaching, and service activities in our local school systems in Evanston and Chicago and in other community agencies operating in the PreK-20+ space. We seek a research analyst with strong technical and interpersonal skills to serve in the dual role of administrator of the Northwestern University PK-20+ Engagement Initiative and research/data coordinator for the Chicago Public Schools portion of this initiative.
In the first role, this individual will work with the working group of education leaders at Northwestern to develop a set of priorities for University activities and functions in the local PK-20+ space.
In the second role, this individual will serve as the principal liaison with CPS and Evanston research and data staff; will be responsible for maintaining confidential databases at Northwestern; will prepare anonymized extracts for Northwestern researchers for approved projects; and will carry out data analysis in service of joint objectives of Northwestern and the school districts.
The position offers the opportunity to work closely with leading education and social policy researchers; to interact with research and data leaders at one of the largest and most diverse school systems in the United States; and to engage in the strategic thinking of one of the world’s leading research universities.
- Manages and plans for data/analysis requests and projects.
- Provides consultation to customers on appropriate data management, methodological issues and statistical analyses.
- Collaborates with technical staff explaining needs of functional users.
- Represents Northwestern University in interactions with Chicago Public Schools research and data staff.
- Investigates other community engagement models and newly generated ideas and actions from meetings, creating well-written, evidence-based memoranda and reports as needed.
- Staffs and supports the Northwestern University PreK-20+ Community Engagement Working Group under the guidance of the Chair, supporting cross-disciplinary engagement with a diverse group of University leaders.
- For monthly Pre-K20+ Working Group meetings, executes the scheduling, agenda setting, and the development of substantive supporting materials.
- Summarizes meetings and follows up with Working Group members and potential future partners, including schools, community-based organizations, faculty, staff, and students.
- Designs and prepares documentation for data management and/or data analyses.
- Performs descriptive analyses for clients.
- Creates data tables and graphs.
- Writes reports for presentation and publication.
- Presents results at internal/external meetings.
- Manages research and analysis using several databases and/or data tables.
- Determines appropriate sources of data based on requests.
- Designs and writes programs for data entry, data editing, data management, periodic reporting, and quality control monitoring and statistical analyses.
- Prepares and analyzes reports/data.
- Prepares statistical results for memos, spreadsheets, and presentations targeting both policymakers and academic researchers.
- Extracts required data.
- Determines and coordinates the completion of statistical analyses using appropriate applications.
- Leads process of data cleaning, merging, matching, sampling, modeling, and randomization.
- Leads data analysis and dataset management across multiple projects.
- Prepares anonymized data extracts for researchers.
- Develops and tests reports and analysis.
- Identifies and work with data stewards to resolve data conflicts.
- Maintains data security.
- Conducts literature reviews and summaries of related research, program and service activities, included relevant webinars, conference materials, and reports.
- Provides work direction and/or supervises staff such as team members, subordinates, contractors, vendors, students, etc.
- Recommends staff hires/terminations.
- Coaches and mentors staff.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 6 years data analysis/report writing or similar experience required.
- Experience working with STATA, SAS, R, or other programming languages required. Strong STATA skills preferred.
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook)
- Experience working with large and complex datasets strongly preferred.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Strong interest in education and social policy required.
- Strong quantitative skills required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines required.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail required.
- Excellent data visualization ability required.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member required.
- Ability to work discretely with sensitive and confidential data required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work well with a variety of faculty and staff members, and ability to represent Northwestern University outside of the University required.
- Experience working with complex networks of potential partners within the university and in communities, e.g., school systems and non-profit organizations, required.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Experience working with GIS and UNIX servers/other workstations preferred.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Substantive knowledge of key issues in education policy preferred.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.