The Office of the Provost at Northwestern University seeks a visionary, collaborative and strategic partner to lead the Women’s Center. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic leader with demonstrated gender equity and inclusion experience to develop a women-focused strategy for the Center, with the aim of impacting campus culture for students, faculty and staff. Since 1986, the Women’s Center has served as an important resource to the entire Northwestern community. The Northwestern Women’s Center is committed to advancing gender equity and inclusion by engaging the Northwestern community. As a catalyst for change, it fosters the development of individual and collective strengths to cultivate socially responsible students, staff and faculty. The Northwestern Women’s Center is an inclusive safe space which convenes University constituents to engage in dialogue. Additionally, The Women’s Center provides resources and facilitates programming and events. The next director has the opportunity to shape the trajectory of the Center for years to come. The Director is a senior leader who sets the strategic vision for Women’s Center programming, events, and operations. The role reports to the Associate Provost and Chief Diversity Officer, who is responsible for leading and coordinating efforts to create a diverse, inclusive and welcoming environment for all Northwestern community members. The role will require an ability to work collaboratively with partners across the University, including senior leadership, and administrative and academic unit heads to articulate, execute, and assess women-focused goals and metrics related to gender equity and inclusion. The director will represent the Center and help advance its priorities in various capacities throughout the University including membership on the University Diversity Council and Diversity Leaders Group. The director will oversee a team of staff dedicated to supporting the work and constituents of the Center in an effort to fulfil its mission in alignment with the University’s vision and values associated with diversity, equity and inclusion.
*We will be accepting applications for this position until May 18, 2017.
- Defines strategy for and directs Women’s Center programming, events, and operations.
- Collaborates with partners across the University community to advance a campus climate consistent with the Women’s Center mission.
- Oversees marketing and communication efforts of the Women’s Center. Ensures that communication is strategic and inclusive of Center stakeholders.
- Oversees financial planning and budgeting.
- Engages in organization development to continually improve the Women’s Center and its relevant role on campus.
- Oversees fundraising/grant writing/resource generation for the Women’s Center.
- Hires, trains, and evaluates Women’s Center professional staff and work-study students. Engages in staff development and mentorship
- Oversees a diverse array of programming consistent with the Women’s Center’s mission.
- Oversees assessment of Women’s Center programming and events to ensure that they are meeting campus needs and align with best practices in the diversity and inclusion.
- Mentors individual students and student organizations.
- Partners with faculty/staff across the University on issues related to gender and inclusion.
- Serves on University committees and work groups.
- Partners on efforts related to student recruitment and retention.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree and progressively responsible managerial experience in relevant areas.
- Successful track record of leading the development and implementation of a strategy to achieve a set of desired goals in a large and complex educational context.
- Proven ability to collaborate successful with a large set of diverse stakeholders and ability to prioritize needs in support of an overarching strategy.
- Experience leading, managing, and developing professional staff.
- Experience in strategy development, operational responsibility, and budget management.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Knowledge of and passion for addressing intersectional gender-based issues and issues that disproportionately affect women students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to effectively build coalitions.
- Deep leadership and management experience.
- Strong communication skills.
- PhD in a related field.
- Experience in a large, research university or comparable complex organization.
- Teaching and research experience.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.