The Developer Lead leads, instructs, directs, and checks the work of other software developers using full technical knowledge and thorough understanding of business application of the project. This role provides technical supervision to and oversees the work of junior staff. This role guides and advises stakeholders on best practices for implementing or enhancing system. This role will work with management to design high-level system integrations involving in-house development or off-the-shelf products. This role will assess architectural impact of projects on overall system and make recommendations to manager.
- Structures requirements; designs, documents, and implements data driven solutions.
- Designs/architects scalable systems that meet future growth demands.
- Identifies and recommends project and activities as related to system/architectural direction and strategy.
- Establishes best practices and procedures/tools, programming standards, etc.
- Provides recommendations for strategic planning and system growth/future business needs.
- Researches and applies state-of-the-art and peer best practices in regard to software development and systems engineering.
- Responds to customer inquiries via phone, online, in-person, etc.
- Develops and implements procedures for data security, management and compliance.
- Creates and maintains code documentation.
- Grants system access to new user.
- Delivers system presentation and overview.
- Collaborates with cross-team assets to create project timeline and assign tasks and deliverables.
- Identifies resources needed for future projects.
- Represents project in absence of manager.
- Gathers and analyzes requirements; develops solutions/programs/reports, and implements technology.
- Reviews, analyzes, and modifies programming systems including encoding, testing, debugging and documenting programs.
- Troubleshoots problems involving complex difficult issues.
- Prioritize tasks.
- Meets with business analyst/stakeholder to determine requirements, gives input on prioritization.
- Collaborates on development of best practices and standards with development teams across the institution.
- Assigns staff to certain projects/tasks.
- Champions utilization of best practices and standards, and ensures compliance with IT/University policies.
- Conducts performance evaluations for supervised team members.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree and 2 years’ equivalent experience; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 6 years’ relevant experience.
- Familiarity with the below:
- Demonstrated proficiency within various PeopleTools technologies including Integration Broker, Application Packages and BI Publisher.
- Mentor team resources providing guidance and direction as necessary.
- Ability to coordinate resources on multiple teams and lead small projects.
- Design solutions and develop technical estimates to meet business requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytic, problem solving, and collaborative skills.
- Must have time management skills and ability to prioritize assigned tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
- Six years’ experience in a PeopleSoft and People Tools development environment.
- Five years’ experience in a higher education institution.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Working knowledge of agile methodologies and web technologies.
- Understanding of Financial and Supply Chain business processes.
- Experience using a systematic approach for problem analysis and resolution as well as the resourceful evaluation of solution alternatives.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with a broad cross-section of the University Community.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.