The Manager, User Support Specialists is responsible for ensuring that the most effective and efficient technology support is provided to students, faculty and staff of the Medill School of Journalism. The Manager leads the collaboration of IT staff members, vendors and serves as liaison between the individual schools needs and Northwestern’s Information Technology team representing Medill in prioritizing and resolving complex problems; difficult issues; and successful implementation of new application features and versions to ensure user satisfaction. The Manager provides direct oversight to all Medill IT staff who are responsible for completing orders and repairs on a daily basis per Northwestern’s standards and policies.
- Oversees the user support experience including monitoring performance, remediation, and optimization strategies of application support to meet business goals and objectives.
- Partners with development team to prioritize system maintenance, edit, enhancements and new features.
- Leads cross function team on new product selection / review process using product demonstrations, feature scoring / feedback templates and group discussions to garner consensus and commitment.
- Supervises creation of user support materials, documentation of processes, and presents feedback from users.
- Works with Chief Engineer to coordinate efforts with NU procurement, vendor, and NU OGC on new vendor contract terms and conditions.
- Plan and generate fiscal year and long term budgeting for both hardware and software to facilitate curricular and organizational need.
- Supervises project team through execution phase of medium to large projects to closure, scheduling status meetings; tracks and works through issue logs, communicating with stake holders.
- Leads system and platform architecture design / planning sessions and documentation.
- Drives continuous improvement by looking for better ways to do things, seeking feedback, communicating with stakeholders.
- Provides an advanced level of troubleshooting support in response to complex problems, questions and inquiries that have been escalated by staff.
- Directly supervises the IT User Support team and maintains dotted-line supervisory oversight to other IT Staff members who hold some user support responsibilities. Supervisory responsibilities include:
- Manages performance for IT Staff through coaching, mentoring and providing feedback.
- Responsible for interviewing and making hiring decisions
- Provides work direction and manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as computer science, information technology, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 5 years' experience in consulting, project management, training, technical support, or user service, in an information technology environment or other relevant experience required.
- Work history demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility and leadership.
- Experience as both an end-user and administrator in service areas such as user support, desktop support, help desk management, and documentation or other relevant experience required.
- Please see information highlighted below.
- Enterprise Applications: CATracks, Digital repository, Google Apps for Education (Bgoogle), Instructure Canvas, Kronos, PeopleSoft Campus Solutions (SES), PeopleSoft Financials/SCM (NU Financials), PeopleSoft HRMS (FASIS), SPSS, SAS.
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Apache, Box Collaborative Storage, Cisco routers and switches, LDAP, Linux Operating System, Mac OS X Operating System, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Lync, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook), Microsoft SharePoint, Skype, SQL/MySQL/Postgres, Storage hardware, Symantec NetBackup, VMware vCloud Director, VMware vSphere, Windows Operating System, Dell Case, Casper.
- Certification/Licensure: Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MCSA), VMware.
- Experience managing employees in an IT environment, highly preferred.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.