The Animal Procurement, Receiving & Census Specialist 1 procure, receive and maintain census on all animals used for research studies. The recorded census data constitute the basis for billing and recharging, thereby requiring close interactions with the CCM Business Office staff and a great deal of accuracy and expediency. The PRC Specialist provides training to research staff on procurement and census processes, and provides customer/vendor support. This job description represents an overview of the entire PRC Specialist function. A team of PRC Specialists perform this 3-part task (i.e., Receiving, Procurement and Census) with each Specialist trained to provide back up to each other when needed.
Please note:Work hours are typically 8-5 but can be flexible and should add up to 40hours per week; willing & able to work staggered shift schedules including overtime, weekends, and holidays as necessary; and available to work on both the Chicago and Evanston campuses as coverage needs dictate. Work stations are close to each other and work space is limited and noise level can be high. Work may require extended hours sitting at a computer terminal and/or several hours of standing and walking in and around the animal facility. Work will require access to the animal facilities. Must be able to lift or push 25 to 50 lbs. for movement of animal shipping containers. Must be enrolled in the university’s occupational health program which entails filling out a health questionnare. The health questionnare is submitted to the university’s occupational health provider for review. Must be willing to undergo job related background check. Position requires travel between the Evanston and Chicago campuses.
Non-Commercial Animal Procurement
- Provides animal order services to Principal Investigators (PIs), lab staff, IACUC (Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee), and internal CCM teams during all phases of commercial animal ordering.
- Coordinates domestic and international imports and exports by working with the PIs/lab staff and external institutions to attain animal health reports and other required veterinary reports, coordinating shipping details with courier, and working with the CCM sentinel coordinator to make quarantine arrangements.
- Creates animal requisitions in the Granite system once the following are confirmed: a) space is approved by husbandry management staff, b) study protocol is active, and c) funding source information is accurate.
- Works with appropriate CCM team members to resolve animal order discrepancies.
- Maintains spreadsheets, checklists and other pertinent documents to ensure all phases of animal ordering are completed within the appropriate deadlines.
- Inspects delivery vehicles prior to unloading animal shipping containers or supplies, verifies packing slips against delivery summaries, and submits slips to the CCM Business Office.
- Generates a delivery summary schedule from Granite.
- Verifies packing slips against delivery and works with Husbandry staff and Procurement staff to resolve discrepancies between orders and receipts.
- Creates appropriate cage cards for animals received and notifies PI and CCM staff of receipt.
- Participates in the weekly census process; i.e., scanning cages as assigned, uploading data from handheld scanners onto Granite, and verifying data prior to posting, reconciliation & verification.
- Maintains spreadsheets, checklists and other pertinent documents to ensure all phases of animal receiving are completed within the appropriate deadlines.
Animal Census & Protocol Maintenance
- Collects census paperwork from facility drop boxes three times daily and assigns them into appropriate categories; i.e., weaning, separation, transfer, euthanasia, deactivation, and mortality.
- Enters the data and performs necessary operations in Granite to effect the appropriate action needed according to category.
- Provides customer support and handles inquires on separations, transfers, deactivations, etc.
- Monitors protocol status to ensure compliance. Runs reports from Granite on a timely basis and checks for expired and suspended protocols.
- Investigates census errors/discrepancies and provides corrective actions.
- Takes necessary action for expired and suspended protocols by creating appropriate cage cards.
- Transfers active cages to the CCM Holding Protocol when a protocol expires, and transfers the same cages to the appropriate or renewal protocol accordingly.
- Coordinates monthly visits to satellite lab facilities and records relevant census activities.
- Maintains files for protocol transfers, cage cards, USDA paperwork, and vaccine records.
- Maintains spreadsheets, checklists and other pertinent documents to ensure all phases of animal census and protocol maintenance are completed within the appropriate deadlines.
- Maintains husbandry inventory and facility supplies and generates and tracks purchase orders as necessary for both campuses; i.e., creates & submits PO requests to CCM Business Office for feed, bedding, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), general laboratory & custodial supplies, etc.
- Searches for products, communicates with vendors and buyers to coordinate requests.
- Manages purchase & receipt documentation in the Husbandry Inventory System.
- Inspects delivered materials and verifies contents against packing lists and purchase requests.
- Communicates with Requester and Business Office to resolve discrepancies.
- Maintains and manages storage rooms on both campuses.
- Submits electronic receiving documentation to Business Office and maintains hard copies in Receiving Office compliant with record-keeping time requirements.
- Maintains spreadsheets, checklists and other pertinent documents to ensure all phases of non-animal receiving/inventory are completed within the appropriate deadlines.
Administrative Support and Other
- Serves as back-up Lurie front desk as needed.
- Completes other tasks & assignments as needed.
- Attends staff meetings & training seminars necessary to remain updated on new processes, revisions, and system-related changes.
- Maintains & follows a Personal Development Plan.
- Assists Supervisor and PRC Specialist 2 in writing PRC SOPs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED.
- One (1) years data entry or database experience.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Problem Solving.
- Team Player.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- AALAS-ALAT (American Association of Laboratory Animal Science-Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician) certification.
- Post-secondary or college work.
- Two (2) years of data entry or database experience.
- One (1) year experience in a lab animal research facility.
- One (1) year of customer service experience.
- Two (2) years of hands-on computer experience.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Computer Proficiency.
- Quality & Compliance.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.