Researchers at the Northwestern Brian Tumor Institute (NBTI) and the Department of Neurosurgery draw from a curated longitudinal database and the multitudes of clinical data stores in the Northwestern Medicine Enterprise Data Warehouse (NMEDW) to support the institute’s mission of research and discovery. This analyst will support to NBTI and Department of Neurosurgery investigators in their crucial reliance on research data analysis and workflow. Provides expertise in data management, quality assurance, analysis, reporting, and secure data disbursement from research databases. Establishes data accuracy and validity derived from a variety of systems. Combined data captured in various data stores. Performs data analysis using statistical techniques. Researches and analyzes information using multiple databases. Creates reports and visualizations of data and results. Assists in the preparation and delivery of decision support reports to both internal and external customers.
**PLEASE NOTE: Medium to advanced proficiency in SQL is required and experience in healthcare industry is highly preferred.
- Partners with clients to define requirements based on business objectives.
- Develops standardized templates, policies, and procedures for internal and external reporting.
- Designs and prepares documentation for qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Discusses findings with senior management.
- Develops queries and quality metrics.
- Interprets results using a variety of techniques, ranging from simple data aggregation to more complex statistical analysis.
- Designs, implements, and manages complex databases.
- Devises automated and novel means to populate research database from original clinical sources.
- Completes data cleaning and organizes data files for analysis.
- Reviews data and identifies quality issues.
- Presents findings in an appropriate manner.
- Provides work direction and/or supervises staff such as team members, subordinates, contractors, vendors, students, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 2 years data analysis/report writing or similar experience required.
- Please see information highlighted in below.
- Enterprise Applications: Digital repository, eIRB.
- Infrastructure: Code Repositories (Git, Subversion), Hadoop, MapReduce, information security, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Lync, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook), SQL/MySQL/Postgres.
- Programming Languages and Frameworks: Python, Shell Scripting, XML.
- Compliance: HIPAA, IRB.
- Analytical: data mining, data modeling, data warehouse design/develop, database design/ data structure, Debugging.
- Project: Code documentation, collaboration and teamwork, functional documentation, iterative & incremental development, planning.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Medium to advanced proficiency in SQL sufficient to pass qualifying examination for Poweruser status within the Northwestern Medicine Enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Programming preferably in scripting language used for data analysis (PERL, Python, R).
- Utilization of data analysis and visualization libraries.
- Demonstrated ability to follow detailed instructions and research protocols.
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
- Education or experience in scientific computing.
- Experience programming and/or analyzing data in healthcare environment.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Development and deployment of web-based systems for secure database access and management.
- Browser and web-based interactive data visualizations (e.g. D3.js).
- Machine learning and other data mining libraries (e.g. scikit-learn, NLP).
- Proficiency in SQL concepts such as joining tables, filtering data, aggregating data, sorting data, and identifying bad data.
- Proficiency in commonly used functions to enhance the output of SQL queries, such as aggregate, ranking, string, date and time functions.
- Knowledge of neurosciences and/or cancer biology.
- Confidence and experience in interacting with surgeons, physicians, nurses, and scientific experts.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.