The User Support Specialist partners with users to review and resolve problems and issues associated with organizational area's applications and services. This role acts as interface between user, administrators, analysts, developers, etc. This position modifies and tests applications to meet user needs. The User Support Specialist recommends standard policies and procedures for providing routine service. This position coordinates activities to maintain systems, programming, and operations documentation, procedures, and methods including user and reference manuals.
- The User Support Specialist provides support for basic incident resolution and requests reported to the IT Support Center. Responsibilities include initial assessment, triage, research, and resolution of basic incidents and requests regarding the use of enterprise applications. The User Support Specialist is responsible for collecting information through phone or email, accessing support tools, and additional support staff as needed.
- This role creates a positive customer support experience and builds strong relationships through deep problem understanding, ensuring timely resolution or escalation, communicating promptly on progress, and handling customers with a consummately professional attitude.
- Recommends application changes to address frequent support issues encountered by users.
- Recommends changes to processes to improve user's ability to do the work they need to do.
- Documents resolutions and updates internal and external knowledge bases.
- Attends training sessions and meetings regarding updates and/or enhancements to the enterprise applications.
- Diagnoses and resolves complex problems, questions and inquiries encountered by clients according to established practices
- Logs and tracks incidents and requests from identification through resolution. Follows up with other support staff involved in resolution to ensure incidents are resolved, requests are filled, and the customer communication is complete.
- Coordinates with external technical support personal to resolve internal reported issue.
- Grows general knowledge of enterprise applications, increasing ability to resolve requests on first contact.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree or 1 year equivalent experience.
- 2 years IT, CS user support or equivalent experience required.
- Please see information highlighted below.
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): identity management/provisioning, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook).
- Analytical: Critical thinking, decision making, judgment, problem solving, troubleshooting.
- Project: functional documentation, organizational skills
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Ability to explain technology and technical solutions to problems to non-technical users
- Technical knowledge of email and Internet services
- Demonstrated proficiency with Internet applications, including email and web browsers
- Ability to act on own initiative and establish effective relationships with management, co-workers and customers
- Ability to maintain composure and work effectively in a pressure setting
- Strong desire to work in a customer service environment
- Strong desire to develop and grow in knowledge and experience
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Past experience in a university or highly decentralized corporate environment.
- ITIL v3 certification or experience.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Working knowledge of ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft Financials.
- Working knowledge Canvas course management system.
- Working knowledge of CATracks (Ellucian Advance), Our Northwestern (iModules and Jive) Alumni Directory (Uprising Technology).
- Functional knowledge of accounting, budgeting, procurement or facilities management operations.
- Experience using BMC Footprints service management tool.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.