AltSchool’s mission is to enable all children to reach their potential. We are a public benefit corporation and a Certified B Corporation, bringing together a unique partnership of educators, engineers, and researchers to create a proprietary learning platform guided by the most comprehensive body of current educational research. AltSchool’s platform is designed to empower schools everywhere to offer personalized, whole-child learning for each student, and to enable teachers to truly understand each child—both deep and wide—so they can develop and learner-centric environment that helps each child thrive.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool currently operates a network of schools in California and New York, which serve as learning labs for ongoing research and development. Starting fall 2017, that network of schools will expand to include the first cohort of pilot partner schools using the AltSchool platform of products and services. We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, and Mark Zuckerberg & Priscilla Chan’s donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, who are committed to help achieve the goal of making the best education the most accessible.
The Education team is at the forefront of pioneering change through our schools and technology platform. Our educators are the experts in our students’ learning, and they direct the personalization of what, where, when, and how they learn. AltSchool educators customize their own classroom’s curriculum, emphasizing both academic rigor and social emotional learning. Educators are also part of a network of professionals who provide regular support, feedback, and opportunities for collaboration. Building a 21st-century Education team translates to the opportunity for year-round work, more flexible time-off, and creating technology to enhance and empower teaching and learning. We also rely on our educators’ critical collaboration on the direction and development of AltSchool’s proprietary technology products.
The Physical Education Assistant partners with our classroom and physical education staff to enable every student to reach their full potential. The role includes managing student transitions throughout the core day, supporting PE classes with both structured movement and unstructured play, and support for project-based learning blocks. The ideal candidate is dynamic, collaborative, and invested in ongoing growth. Experience engaging students in an outdoor environment is key.
This is a part-time hourly role with an approximate schedule of 15-25 hours per week between the hours of 9am and 2pm daily. The hourly rate is $20. Additional opportunities are available to sub in AltSchool’s extended day program from 2:30-6:30pm.
- Assist the 2 PE Leads in delivering a personalized, child-centered PE program.
- Provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for students; use positive behavior guidance methods for students
- Supervise students to maintain a safe, healthy environment and be prepared to act as necessary per AltSchool practices and regulations, as necessary per AltSchool practices and regulations
- Ensure smooth operation of the Physical Education program at your specific site
- Lead students safely to and from the classroom to the park or play area
- Promote social-emotional development and movement through outdoor play
- Organize and maintain the site’s PE equipment
- Participate in trainings
- Collaborate with fellow PE staff, share best practices, and attend team meetings
- Confer with the student support and educator teams to ensure continuation of care
- Monitor and report student behavior and performance
- Perform other duties on an as-needed basis