AltSchool’s mission is to enable all children to reach their potential. We are a public benefit corporation and a Certified B Corporation, bringing together a unique partnership of educators, engineers, and researchers to create a proprietary learning platform guided by the most comprehensive body of current educational research. AltSchool’s platform is designed to empower schools everywhere to offer personalized, whole-child learning for each student, and to enable teachers to truly understand each child—both deep and wide—so they can develop and learner-centric environment that helps each child thrive.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool currently operates a network of schools in California and New York, which serve as learning labs for ongoing research and development. Starting fall 2017, that network of schools will expand to include the first cohort of pilot partner schools using the AltSchool platform of products and services. We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, and Mark Zuckerberg & Priscilla Chan’s donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, who are committed to help achieve the goal of making the best education the most accessible.
- Lead an on-site team of educators to build a local AltSchool lab school by establishing site-specific culture, schedules, processes, and procedures, where educators on the team will:
- Design or customize experiential, project-based learning arcs for the class to create activities that are relevant and real-world
- Curate individual learning experiences based on each student’s abilities, needs, and learning approach to construct and exhibit core competencies
- Utilize dynamic instructional grouping to meet the needs of all learners
- Determine students’ academic and social emotional learning goals and ensure that they’re met
- Use the resources of the city and community to create an education that is relevant and real
- Communicate learning targets and outcomes to colleagues, parents, and students on a regular basis
- Collect and use data to collaboratively identify goals, assess organizational effectiveness, and promote organizational learning alongside educators
- Support educators to optimize and evolve their students’ whole child, personalized learning experience throughout the year by enhancing team members’ instructional capacity and promoting robust and meaningful implementation of curricula and assessment programs
- Nurture the professional growth of school team members both as individuals and as a professionally normed whole group
- Commit to building a community of child-centered educators by mentoring other educators and making regular contributions to the network, including sharing curriculum, best practices, research findings, etc.
- Develop an inclusive and equitable school climate characterized by supportive relationships and a personalized culture of care
- Build and maintain positive, transparent partnerships with the school’s families by engaging with the community
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to devise, participate in, and provide feedback on pilot experiments related to class design, pedagogical approach, scheduling, classroom tools and more
- Leverage financial resources to build a strong culture of achievement by strategically managing a school-wide budget
- Externally represent AltSchool to prospective families and press in order to continually enhance the school community
- Hold ultimate responsibility for the site’s experience, success, and operational performance
- Prompt and regular attendance on all school and work days