Summary of the position:
Level 1 Administrative Associate in the Department of Biology Teaching and Learning. This position reports to the Associate Department Head and is a key player in supporting the department’s mission to discover, adapt, apply, and disseminate innovative strategies that transform biology education. Responsibilities range from managing the front office and ensuring a smooth operation to partnering with department administration on creating goals for the year and anticipating budget needs.
40% - Department Operations
• Assist with determining and implementing department objectives and priorities; research and analyze data as needed
• Create departmental communications; develop & maintain best practices for effective broadcasting
• Identifying gaps and inefficiencies in departmental administrative policies/business procedures; research solutions; draft clear, concise department policies/business procedures to align with department objectives and priorities; create and oversee electronic filing and workflow system within department
• Investigate problems as they arise; analyze relevant data; design and implement solutions
• Facilities liaison for department; anticipate future space needs; collaborate with CBS facilities manager; serve as department access coordinator; evaluate department space assignments - recommend and implement changes; oversee department renovation projects as needed, manage required space records
• Maintain a working knowledge of University Administrative and Facilities policies and business processes
• Collaborate with Department Leadership and CBS HR to address department employee engagement survey results; research and understand results; recommend and implement improvement plans; etc.
• Collaborate with CBS Dean’s office staff as needed
• Represent department at College and University meetings as needed
30% - Finance and Human Resources
• Partner with department administration on financial decisions
• Anticipate future financial needs; research funding options; assist with funding requests and budget recommendations
• Oversee department spending; monitor accounts; approve financial documents as departmental designated one-up approver for department head; provide administration with regular updates
• Develop and implement business process to ensure financial documents are submitted, approved and process in a realistic and timely manner
• Collaborate with CBS Finance regarding sponsored and non-sponsored finances as needed
• Manage department faculty promotion and tenure process; maintain a working knowledge of appropriate promotion and tenure policies; team with department head to instruct faculty on dossier creation; manage department voting procedures; coordinate with CBS HR to ensure proper procedures are followed and deadlines are met
• Assist Department head with annual faculty reviews, post-tenure reviews, and merit/equity salary decisions
• Provide administrative support to department committees; including faculty/staff search committees
• Assist Department head in management of faculty leaves procedures
• Maintain a working knowledge of University Finance and Human Resources policies and business processes; create and implement department policies/business processes as needed
• Approve hiring requests from department; ensure appropriate funding; assist with creating accurate job descriptions; communicate/implement appropriate hiring procedures; on/off board department staff/faculty; collaborate with CBS HR
• Identify reporting needs; research data and prepare reports to aid in decision making processes
15% - Office Management
• Act as main point of contact; answering and triaging departmental inquires
• Oversite of department calendars and management of department leadership calendars; scheduling meetings, preparing necessary meeting materials, etc.
• Manage office needs; room reservations; travel arrangements; meeting support; maintain office supply inventory, etc.
• Supervise student office support staff; hire, provide work direction, discipline, conduct performance reviews, etc.
• Team with administration to create agenda and identify speakers for department retreats/symposia; coordinate meeting logistics
• Create and implement departmental seminar series; coordinate logistics such as communications; venue, travel, etc.
10% - Student Services
• Serve as back-up during high-volume times for key student service related functions; course and classroom scheduling, teaching assistant hiring and orientation, etc.
5% - Additional
• Other duties as assigned
• Participate in University trainings, meetings, and other professional development as they arise