About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Senior Associate Director of Benefits Administration is responsible for the daily oversight and management of benefits administration and customer service, including the following programs: health insurance, worker's compensation, leave, long- and short-term disability, life insurance, and customer support. The Senior Associate Director monitors industry trends, practices, and costs; reviews and evaluates current programs; recommends improvements to employee benefit plans; and ensures programs align with the university's strategic objectives. In carrying out the oversight of the retirement programs (including 403(b), 415(m) and 401(a) qualified plans), the Senior Associate Director ensures compliance with IRS regulations, working with legal counsel and plan vendors to maintain up-to-date and accurate plan documents, and working with our internal Optional Retirement Plan Committee to review investment options and evaluate the performance of selected plan vendors. The Senior Associate Director ensures compliance with state and federally mandated programs including Medical, LTD, STD, Life, Workers Compensation and Leave Programs. Additionally, the Senior Associate Director is responsible for the development and delivery of a comprehensive educational program to inform employees regarding the entire suite of benefits offerings and provides oversight for the Human Resources Service Center, which is the university communities first point of contact for receiving assistance and information for a wide range of human resource topics and programs.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline or Bachelor’s degree with training and relevant experience equating to an advanced degree.
- Progressively responsible, professional level experience in benefits and/or human resources administration.
- Significant supervisory and/or program management experience.
- Strong collaborative problem solving and customer service skills that demonstrate the ability to gather and analyze information and identify and resolve issues or improve processes in a timely manner.
- Strong computer applications knowledge including data analysis and reporting.
- Strong knowledge of federal and state regulations related to benefit and leave programs (ERISA, FMLA, ADA, ACA, etc.).
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups and in presenting to both large and small audiences.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
- Benefits administration experience in a higher education institution or large non-profit/State funded organization.
- Familiarity with Commonwealth of Virginia benefit and retirement programs.
- Previous experience developing comprehensive educational or training programs.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 05/15/2017