Description: Software Engineer / Back-End Developer contributes to the BrainGate Neural Interface System and supports the overall neurotechnology research endeavor in the laboratory of Leigh R. Hochberg, M.D., Ph.D. This research will define the future of brain-implantable neural interface technology to improve communication and independence for people with severe motor disabilities. This is a 1-year full-time, fixed term, position embedded on site with our team in the School of Engineering at Brown University in Providence, RI.
The incumbent's grade will be determined by years of experience. The Software/Back End Developer (JG 10E) requires a bachelor's degree and 3-4 years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience; the Software/Back End Developer (JG 11E) requires a bachelor's degree and 5-7 years of related experience.
- GRADE 10: BS degree with 3-5 years of experience in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering or related field
- GRADE 11: BS degree with 5-7 years of experience in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering or related field
- Demonstrated professional programming experience and portfolio across a variety of platforms with high proficiency in relevant languages and technologies
- Skill programming low-latency communication of high-bandwidth data traffic across wired and/or wireless interfaces (UDP, TCP/IP, USB, 802.11, Bluetooth) for visualization, disk storage, or streaming device intercommunication.
- Experience working with data structures for moving data between clients or for streaming visual display
- Intimate knowledge of new creative tools / technologies for high-performance programming
- Experience in agile or agile-like development in small, high performance teams
- Proficiency with code versioning and collaborative development tools
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
The selected candidate's experience level will determine the hiring grade.
- MS degree in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering or related field
- Experience creating software for linking and managing devices for communication among multiple wired and wireless devices including programmatic Bluetooth pairing, Bluetooth serial communication, and 802.11
- Experience programming in one or more game engines / environments such as JS, Phaser, Lua3D, Matter.js or Unity3D, including physics features and communication of game control /status over UDP I/O
- Hands-on familiarity programming in Matlab and/or Simulink
- Experience with one or more web programming technologies, such as HTML5, Web Sockets, CSS3, PHP, JSON, .Net, Java
- Programming for real-time low-latency, high-frequency web-based graphing using efficient and reliable packages
- Experience with embedded systems, QNX, ARM programming, Zynq SoC
- Experience in both industry and research settings
- Software development for medical device or health care applications
- Demonstrated interest in neuroscience, brain-computer interfaces and/or assistive technologies for people with disability
- Familiarity with neuroscience and electrical brain signals (action potentials, local field potentials)
- Experience enabling remote access/support solutions
- Working knowledge of digital signals, digital sampling, bandpass filters
Background Check: Criminal and education verification
Recruiting Start Date:2017-03-20-07:00
Job Posting Title:Software/Back End Developer
Department:School of Engineering
Worker Sub-Type:Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.