| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 26th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Bioinformatics Engineer/Bioinformatician in Big Data Analytics for the Precision Pathology Biobanking Center at MSKCC
The Precision Pathology Biobanking Center (PPBC) is a newly established Research Center at MSK and its Department of Pathology.
The development and implementation of cutting-edge computational Big Data Analytics represents a major strategic priority for the Center. The bioinformatics recruitment seeks to expand this expertise within the Center. We are especially interested in research projects that will develop integrated analyses of multi-omic datasets.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develops tools and approaches for integrated “big data” analytics using various database sources within PPBC and MSK, including multi-omics data, clinico-pathological data, and imaging data
- Develop systems biological approaches to bioinformatics and mapping of data onto biological pathways and networks
- Develops, maintains, and expands functionality of existing and to be developed bioinformatics software tools
- Works closely with other IT groups throughout MSKCC on development and federation of database systems
- Installs necessary and relevant bioinformatics software
- Stays current with general bioinformatics tools and installs/runs tools as needed (genomics, proteomics, other bioinformatics tools)
- Works to develop web-based visualizations of PPBC data
- Works with Linux systems administrator to configure new and existing software packages for security, performance, and maintainability
- Writes scripts to monitor database backups and archiving when appropriate
- Master’s Degree or PhD in bioinformatics/computer science or related field. Recent graduates preferred.
- Strong background in biology, medicine, biochemistry, etc.
- Strong knowledge of bioinformatics algorithms, statistics, and software tools
- Prior experience with analyzing “omics” data (especially proteomics, but also next gen sequencing, RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge of current state-of-the art software workflows for general bioinformatics (R, Mathematica, Matlab, Linux scripting)
- Familiarity with proteomics data analysis (such as Mascot, MaxQuant, Sequest, X!Tandem, etc.)
- Familiarity with genomics/transcriptomics/epigenomics pipelines (alignment, variant calls, etc.)
- Solid experience with programming and scripting (C/C++, Python, Perl, etc.)
- Experience with web programming and data visualization on websites
- Experience with building, configuring, running, and maintaining Linux servers preferred
- High-performance computing experience preferred
This position requires cross-disciplinary and strong analytical skills as well as broad experience using computational methods, databases, software and hardware.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.