The CMUWorks Service Center is the central source Onboarding, Human Resources (HR), Benefits, Payroll, Time Tracking, Workday, and Financial Systems questions and transactions. Focused on service and continuous improvement, we are dedicated to providing information and support to the CMU community.
We are looking for a passionate and motivated Associate Director, Payroll who will be part of the Service Center Team leadership team, supporting the university's Human Resources and Payroll Systems related applications and inquiries in a tiered shared services environment. You will lead and direct employees related to payroll processing in a timely, compliant, and accurate manner through various channels including the ServiceNow ticketing system, phone, e-mail, and walk-in traffic to the service center. You will be responsible for day-to-day operations, including supervision and distribution of work, facilitating issues, auditing staff transactions and communications for accuracy and compliance, and supporting professional development, coaching, and mentoring of the staff.
Core responsibilities include:
- Pay processing of all employees of the university, domestic and international
- Ensuring tax calculations and withholdings from all payrolls are accurate and filed in a timely manner.
- Directing and managing activities related to W2 processing
- Staying abreast of all regulatory requirements and initiating system changes as needed to comply with these requirements.
- Working with staff and counterparts/end-users to actively identify ways to gain processing efficiencies and/or resolve system related issues.
- Providing technical expertise and leadership in all payroll related areas to the university in general as well as staff.
- Managing projects related to payroll, including integration of the Qatar, Rwanda, and Australia campuses
- Other examples include (but not limited to): contribute to developing strategies and plans for future project initiatives; analytical research and development of metrics; business re-engineering activities
We are looking for a highly motivated leader and colleague with an active, positive approach and excellent relationship development skills. You will be expected to successfully communicate and contribute to compliance of university policy and HR, employment, labor, and taxation regulations through effective interactions with internal and external constituents. You should demonstrate proven leadership and strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with people at all levels of the organization clearly, succinctly and persuasively. Ideally, you will have a general working knowledge Workday HCM/Payroll (or a comparable payroll system) as well as experience and knowledge of tax requirements as it relates to payroll for domestic and international activities
The right person for this role will thrive in a dynamic and changing environment, and will demonstrate exceptional analytical and problem solving skills in order to recognize the needs of the business and then develop processes to meet those needs. We will look for someone who demonstrates the aptitude to understand the big picture as well as have a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail in all activities. Organization, prioritization, multi-tasking, learning quickly, and being highly motivated to succeed are all qualities we will seek in the person selected. This role has access to highly confidential information, and you will work to actively protect the confidentiality and privacy of all information, including protected health information. This position will require the flexibility to work outside of normal business hours as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, or related field, Master's degree preferred
- 10-15 years of payroll experience which includes a minimum of 8 years of payroll operations experience, and a minimum of 5 years of systems experience with Payroll systems and/or one or more of the following: HR, Payroll, Financials experience with one of the major ERP Systems.
- Experience with Workday HCM, Benefits, and Payroll preferred
- Prior experience with strategic planning in a higher education and/or consulting/implementation environment preferred
Please visit Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world. http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/index.html. A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html.
Carnegie Mellon University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.