|Req #: ||143497 |
|Department: ||ENROLLMENT MANAGEMENT: OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS |
|Job Location: || Seattle Campus |
|Job Location Detail: ||Schmitz Hall |
|Posting Date: ||03/17/2017 |
|Closing Info: || Open Until Filled |
|Salary: || |
Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
| The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoy outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty. |
UW Enrollment Information Services has an outstanding opportunity for a Web Developer to work with Enrollment Management staff and managers to develop and maintain web solutions for business needs and functions. Reporting to the Associate Director of EIS, this position is responsible for supporting and assisting web content needs such as design, development, systems integration, documentation, and content management. It is also responsible for the operation of hundreds of web pages and numerous enterprise-class/web-based applications. The Web Developer provides technical expertise in web program development and in systems integration; it must also demonstrate professional competence in computer systems and web programming. The position requires ongoing collaboration with academic and administrative units across campus in areas of research, development, testing and maintenance, in order to support the languages and strategies and industry best practices. The Web Developer will serve as a peer member of our Enrollment Information Services team, and a member of a three-person web team. The position will work with both technical and non-technical personnel.
Enrollment Information Services, a unit within Enrollment Management, supports units in Enrollment Management including Undergraduate Admissions, Financial Aid and Veterans Center, the Office of the University Registrar, International Student Services, and the central Enrollment Management Administrative office. This position is responsible for several websites and web applications spread across multiple department/units throughout the University and within Enrollment Management. The position collaboratively works with other internal web developers, as well as university web groups, such as Academic and Collaborative Applications, University Marketing and Communications, Undergraduate Academic Advising, and Student Information Services (UWIT). The position is also responsible for analysis of business needs in order to develop website and web application solutions for business processes. The position must communicate with organizational leadership and support initiatives and directives from unit and divisional leadership.
* Develop creative design, online communications and technical information web applications
* Plan, document and test all web-based and data-driven applications.
* Develop technical expertise and business subject matter knowledge related to the Admissions Recruitment Initiative.
* Assist with technology projects as assigned.
| * Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field AND at least two years' experience in production management, web page design, XHTML/CSS, scripting, and web graphics types and standards. |
* Experience to include:
-Backend web development languages (especially PHP)
-Version control systems (eg: Git)
-Web content creation and styling using HTML and CSS
-Web accessibility concepts
-Fundamental programming concepts
* Good written and oral communication skills
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
| * Two years' experience in web page design in production environment. |
* Experience coding to common web standards and protocols (eg: HTTP, OAuth, SSL, etc.)
* Experience with best practices for program design (eg: testing, patterns, separation of concerns, code style standards and linting, etc.)
* Experience producing and/or consuming RESTful web services
* Experience deploying and maintaining Content Management Systems (eg: WordPress, Drupal)
* Experience managing a large-scale complex web site.
* Familiarity with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and 508 accessibility guidelines.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, user liaison skills, and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively with minimum supervision.
* Ability to exercise initiative and judgment and be able to manipulate details accurately.
* Desire and ability to learn new technologies and procedures, and to share knowledge with colleagues.
|CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:|
| * Weekend and after-hours work is sometimes needed to support critical web operations and systems. |
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Criminal Conviction History, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select Apply to this position. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your My Jobs page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.