|This position has responsibility for all functions of the law school’s Office of the Registrar under the general supervision and direction of the Assistant Dean of Academic Services and Registrar (Assistant Dean). The job requires daily responsibility for the Registrar function for the law school. The Deputy Registrar manages and implements the registration process, maintains student databases, administers exams, develops and maintains the course schedule and academic calendar, and reviews records for graduation. This position requires self-direction and minimal supervision. |
|Educational Requirements: |
|Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree preferred. |
|Minimum Requirements: |
- At least 7 years of experience including experience in administration of academic policies and procedures, knowledge of FERPA regulations, familiarity with ABA and AALS standards and regulations, and familiarity with basic higher education law and policy
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills are necessary
- Proficiency in computer resources and especially web-based interactive delivery of services and information, including room scheduling, electronic transcripts, and online catalog and curriculum management
- Must have a strong record of and commitment to exceptional customer service
- Must be able to handle multiple parallel tasks and to interact positively with others
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to understand and solve complex problems
|Preferred Requirements: |
- Understanding (and management) of student information and database systems, such as Ellucian Colleague and Microsoft Access strongly preferred
- Some knowledge of business intelligence tools and statistics including data collection and analysis
|Additional Information: |
|Some evenings and weekends required. |
This role requires the ability to function independently; make appropriate academic and management decisions; and design studies and collect, analyze, and interpret data. Also requires administrative and management skill; understanding of and ability to develop, explain, interpret, and apply policy; and ability to know when to consult with appropriate constituents. Successful candidates will have experience and knowledge in the maintenance of complete and accurate databases and filing systems; counseling skills and complete understanding of confidentiality issues, the ADA, and FERPA.
Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.