About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Reporting to the Plumber Steamfitter Supervisor, the Plumber Steamfitter Lead serves on a crew that maintains the central distribution of utilities such as steam, water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, hot water, condensate return, and compressed air to the Virginia Tech campus. This position gives direction to other crew members as to the safe maintenance and repair to central utility systems, and may act as liaison with contractor personnel at the direction of supervisor.
- Considerable experience at the journey level in the plumbing and steam fitting trade.
- Experience with pipe welding in a relevant setting.
- Basic supervisory skills with ability to safely lead the work of others which may include internal and external staff.
- Experience working with layouts, interpreting drawings and blueprints.
- Must have a valid Commercial Driver’s License with Class B endorsements and a DOT medical certification.
- Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more; ability to maneuver materials up and down stairs; ability to climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; ability to work for long periods of time standing, walking, sitting, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling; ability to safely work in designated confined spaces; and work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to interact with diverse members of the University Community, have good team work skills, and be able to understand, comprehend and follow directions in the workplace.
- This is a designated emergency personnel position. May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
- Ability to use various computer programs such as Excel, Word and Access.
- Experience in a large commercial or university setting.
- Knowledge of state purchasing procedures.
- Experience with a computerized work order system such as Hokie Serve or other system.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 04/17/2017