About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech, founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution, is currently ranked as a Top 25 Public University by US News & World Report and a Top 25 Public Research University by the National Science Foundation. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). As the Commonwealth's most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech serves a diverse population of 30,000+ students and 8000+ faculty and staff from over 100 countries, and is engaged in research around the world. Invent the Future at Virginia Tech.
Reporting to the Associate Director for Facilities Engineering Operations, the Elevator and Fire Protection Manager manages the operation of the Elevator and Fire Protection shop to ensure that building fire protection and elevating systems are operating, tested, inspected and maintained in accordance with applicable codes including Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention, Virginia Statewide Maintenance, International Building Code, Elevator Safety Code and National Fire Prevention Association standards. This position is responsible for developing priorities with shop personnel and contractors to ensure coordination with building contacts for proper planning, scheduling of preventive maintenance and corrective action work assignments. Provides oversight of work assignments of shop personnel and contractors in accordance with the work order system's Standard Operating Procedures, recognizes and resolves issues to maintain productivity of work for assigned resources, ensures the execution of work order assignments in coordination with fellow facilities managers and supervisors, and with designated University contacts in order that all projects are completed in a timely and cost effective basis, performs routine inspections of assignments completed to ensure quality and cost, maintains records of required tests, inspections and maintenance activities, and evaluates and recommends improvements to current Fire Protection and Elevator shop and contracts on a continuous basis. Completes required administrative functions regarding work order flow, including data entry into Facilities Work Order System, and properly coordinates procurement and delivery of material to job sites effectively and procurement of services and materials are in compliance with University policies.
- Considerable experience in managing in-house and contractor personnel such as fire protection technicians, elevator mechanics, elevator inspectors and electricians in the performance of inspection, testing, preventive maintenance and repair work.
- Proficiency with computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) such as HokieServ.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of institutional building fire protection and elevating systems.
- Extensive knowledge of procedures followed in a scheduled Preventive Maintenance Program for building fire protection and elevating systems.
- General knowledge of electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems with respect to fire prevention requirements.
- Knowledge of all local and state codes that pertain to the position's area of responsibility including Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention and Maintenance Codes, Elevator Safety Code, National Fire Protection Association standards and International Building Code.
- Ability to reference applicable codes when addressing maintenance work or citations.
- Ability to analyze problems, interpret drawings, electronic schematics & specifications and to prepare project cost estimates.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and communication skills and ability to interact comfortably with all individuals within a diverse organization.
- Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more; maneuver materials up and down stairs; climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, and pushing/pulling.
- Must have good team work skills and be able to understand, comprehend and follow directions in the workplace.
- Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
- May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
- Valid driver's license.
- This position is designated as "Emergency Personnel". Must be available as situations warrants for response to after hours and weekend trouble calls.
- Experience in a large commercial or educational setting.
- Understanding of HokieMart.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 04/10/2017