***THIS IS A CIVIL SERVICE UNIT POSITION***
Job Description Overview:
This is a supervisory position responsible for the daily operations of the University of MN Duluth campus mailroom. An independent thinker with problem solving skills, who can ensure campus and community needs are met, is vital to this fast paced, complex environment. Serves as campus resource for postal regulations, policies and protocol. The UMD Mailroom supports the campus faculty, students, and staff as well as the public needing USPS, UPS, or Fed-Ex shipping/mailing services.
40% Supervision Duties:
• Hire, discipline, and evaluate performance of UMD Mailroom up to 10 employees to include staff and students.
• Train new and current employees on Mailroom changes, equipment, policies, processes and procedures.
• Supervise daily Mailroom work of receiving, sorting, and delivery of USPS mail, USPS parcels and intra-campus mail to include off campus location routes; supervise customer service counter operations including customers wanting to send packages or mail or purchase stamps; correct errors and solve shipping/mailing issues.
• Authority to make decisions relating to daily operations and/or special projects to ensure timely completion and smooth workflow.
• Assign and direct work, prepare/post schedules, and balance time for staff and students in order to maintain operational efficiency and continuity. Ensure staffing levels stay within budgetary constraints of unit.
• Establish and enforce work unit rules; conduct staff meetings.
• Ensure only authorized staff have access to work area.
• Recognize a diversity of problem-solving skills and how they can lead to better solutions.
20% Operational Duties:
• Assist in receiving, sorting mail and parcels into carts and wall cases; assists in sorting and weighing mail for processing.
• Supervise function of mail machine, folder/inserting machine, and SendSuite Express Software stations; troubleshoot malfunctions and work with vendor’s technical support to resolve issues. Operate as necessary.
• Maintain and order appropriate Mailroom supplies.
• Work to streamline mail to reduce amounts and duplicates of mail received.
• Assist in processing outgoing mailings for UPS, Fed-Ex, and USPS parcels on Pitney Bowes SendSuite, Connect 3000 mail machine, and 3-station Inserter equipment.
• Prepare and close all functions for daily Mailroom operations including reconciling cash register, preparing cash drawer, and reconciling payment card transactions.
• Participate in campus departmental special mailing projects.
• Work with customers from a variety of backgrounds and experiences
40% Administrative Duties:
• Maintain current knowledge on postal and shipping regulations. Train staff accordingly.
• Ensure the University complies with established and changing USPS regulations and other vendor requirements.
• Coordinate with USPS and other specialized mail vendors to ensure efficient and correct handling of University mail and parcels.
• Maintain and review computerized procedures for tracking postal cost by classification and department in order to maximize postal discounts and future rate reductions.
• Review reports and adjust student hours based on work load and department hour commitment; enters and reconciles daily Mailroom data.
• Serve as payment card manager, ensuring PCI DSS compliance for Mailroom operations.
• Evaluate equipment needs and make recommendations based on technological needs and costs.
• Communicates with campus community regarding any changes in policies, processes, and mailroom hours.
• Meet with campus departments to determine Mailroom needs and updates departmental mailing lists.
• Enter purchase requisitions; approves invoices and employee labor time entered in departmental software.
• Advise on postal customs and recommends best method for processing.
• Maintain a commitment to the U’s goals that encourage equity and diversity.