The George Mason University Office of the University Registrar seeks a motivated, skilled Senior Programmer/Analyst to serve as part of the Information Technology team. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Department:
The Office of the University Registrar actively supports and leads change while serving as a strategic partner to those the Office serves, focusing on the ways to become more efficient, effective, and improving services to university constituents in meeting the needs of an evolving higher educational environment.
The Senior Programmer/Analyst is a member of the Registrar's Information Technology team, which provides essential support for departmental and university-wide use of the Ellucian Banner Student Information System, Ellucian suite, and third-party applications. The incumbent applies technical and functional student enrollment life cycle knowledge to the delivery and improvement of information system applications; and serves as a key player in planning, implementing, testing and managing student-centric technology initiatives to meet university strategic goals. The incumbent works cooperatively with business partners in areas such as Information Technology Services (ITS) and other Banner users across campus to ensure that value-added technical service and student information needs are met in a timely and responsive manner. This involves a combination of data extraction, report generation, problem-solving, and systems analysis. Activities include documenting needs, developing requirements, writing specifications, designing solutions, and resolving production problems. Additionally, this position serves as a representative of the department and a resource for the university in matters pertaining to student information systems and applications.
These are intended as an illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Additional responsibilities include:
- Develop effective and efficient solutions for data extracts using standard and complex SQL queries against Oracle and other data sources including but not limited to Caspio, CourseLeaf, Ellucian Degree Works, and Dynamic Forms;
- Work with customers to understand business-process requirements;
- Analyze requests and produce reports which meet customer requirements in a timely manner;
- Provide support to system data integrations for new applications and initiatives, especially in matters relating to the Banner Student Information System, Ellucian suite, and third-party applications;
- Ensure that implementation of projects and new/enhanced functionality does not compromise existing systems or services;
- Work collaboratively with ITS staff and other departments to implement system integrations;
- Provide technical guidance, training, and support to staff in matters relating to current functionality, enhancements, and new technologies associated with the Banner Student Information System, Ellucian suite, and third-party applications;
- Assist in resolving technical issues that arise within Banner and other related systems;
- Monitor, evaluate, test, and validate new functionality including patches, point releases, and upgrades;
- Research, plan, implement, test, and maintain technological initiatives, including new and existing software and hardware applications;
- Troubleshoot production problems that arise within Banner and other applications;
- Assist with departmental equipment inventory and maintenance;
- Work effectively with stakeholders across multiple functional areas and different levels of technical experience;
- Identify and resolve data discrepancies, as appropriate;
- Serve as backup for other team members;
- Participate in and contribute to team projects and assignments;
- Serve on interdepartmental Banner/data support committees as well as represent the Registrar's Office on project teams as new initiatives are introduced; and
- May have to work during non-standard business hours.
Education or Training:
- An undergraduate bachelor's degree in computer information systems or a related field (a combination of education and work experience may be substituted for a degree).
- Demonstrated work experience in an Oracle-based enterprise resource planning environment;
- Experience reporting with SQL or other enterprise-based programming language to extract information from large complex databases (TOAD is preferred);
- Experience providing application user support to include: translating business requirements into design specifications, developing training documents, creating test plans, etc.; and
- Experience with at least two of the following applications: 25Live, Automic Applications Manager, Banner Document Management System (WebXtender), Blackboard, Caspio, College Scheduler, CourseLeaf, Degree Works, Dynamic Forms, Evisions, MicroStrategy, and Salesforce.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in SQL or other enterprise-based programming language such as C++, Java, Perl, Python, or Ruby to extract information from large complex databases;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products and advanced Microsoft Access and Excel skills;
- Ability to work with functional areas to understand business processes then create associated data/report requirements documentation and design specifications, write data extracts/reports, and develop test cases;
- Strong interpersonal skills using both written and verbal communication with academic, administrative, operations, and technical customers within the department and across the university; and high standards for customer service;
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, both technical and nontechnical;
- Proven organizational skills with an attention to detail;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to think logically through steps in a process and understand the cause/effect relationships therein;
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision or as part of a team;
- Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, hectic work environment amidst frequent interruptions; and
- Ability and motivation to learn and implement new technologies, both hardware and software.
- Hands-on experience with a student information system;
- Experience in a higher education environment;
- TOAD, Banner and related applications including 25Live, Automic Applications Manager, Banner Document Manager System (WebXtender), BlackBoard, Caspio, College Scheduler, CourseLeaf, Degree Works, Dynamic Forms, Evisions, MicroStrategy, and Salesforce;
- SFTP, SSH, UNIX; and
- Enterprise-based programming language such as C++, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, or SQL.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of the Banner Student Information System, Ellucian suite, and partner applications;
- Knowledge of the interconnectivity of solutions/systems, processes, and procedures between various student life cycle operations;
- Microsoft Access scripting and data manipulation; and
- Statistical analysis skills.
Salary: $70,000 to $75,000; commensurate with education and experience
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01657z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.