Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
College/Division: Administration and Finance
Salary Range: $2,789 - $4,528 per month
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
The Facilities Department is a unit within the Administration and Finance Division. Facilities Operations is responsible for the physical and environmental campus maintenance of buildings, roads, parking lots, lighting, utility transports, sidewalks, waterways, and landscaping.
The Laborer classification is used for positions primarily performing general, unskilled manual labor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Move and transport objects such as, equipment, materials, and supplies; assist in campus event set-up; and load and unload equipment, supplies, and materials.
- Assist in campus event set-up.
- Clean assigned areas, including such activities as removing construction debris; cleaning gutters, culverts, and other drainage structures; power washing assigned areas; clean swimming pools, sidewalks, entry ways, stairways, interior and exterior windows, roadsides, streets, and related areas; cleaning applicable equipment; and assisting in other cleaning projects.
- Remove and haul waste and recyclables from areas of central aggregation, special events, and special clean-up sites.
- Assist crafts and construction workers by performing unskilled tasks such as preparing work areas; performing rough repair work; tearing down structures; patching pavement; and performing pick and shovel work, driving dump truck or moving equipment.
- Assist in grounds maintenance, including such activities as pruning, trimming and spraying trees and shrubbery; removing undergrowth and debris; and using a spade, hoe, or rake to prepare or clean assigned areas.
- Operate and perform basic preventive maintenance on appropriate hand and powered equipment and tools, supplies, and materials.
- May be required to use a motor vehicle to transport and deliver heavy or other items.
- Perform the full range of custodial work to include: clean and disinfect restrooms, locker rooms, and showers; replenish supplies including paper products, hand soaps, urinal chemicals and waterless urinal components; dust and clean glass doors, windows, blinds, graffiti, furniture and upholstery, light fixtures, stairwells, walkways and elevators; straighten and rearrange furniture; provide custodial support for activities such as respond to custodial/cleaning emergencies; safeguard assigned areas from unauthorized use and access by locking and unlocking doors and windows; arrange and set furniture, equipment and related items. Identify and report equipment, supply and repair needs. Identify and order necessary supplies and materials from warehouse.
- Prepare and submit labor cards and work orders.
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned .
- Attend training and maintain skill currency as appropriate to safely and effectively complete assignments.
Minimum Qualifications (Staff Only):
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination of training, experience, and/or education sufficient to demonstrate the required qualifications.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, DEGREES, CREDENTIALS: Possession of a valid driver's license or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
- Ability to perform regular strenuous manual labor and safely move heavy items in excess of 50 pounds.
- Ability to learn and apply safe methods for moving heavy objects such as tables, chairs, risers, trash cans, furniture, and other equipment for special events.
- Working knowledge of the common terminology, methods, practices, tools and procedures related to building and facility services.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations and secure areas from safety hazards.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of safety in the work place and ability to observe, understand and apply safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to operate and maintain fork lifts, hand and powered construction and custodial equipment, electric carts, utility trucks, tow trailers and various hand tools.
- Working knowledge of standard custodial/housekeeping methods, procedures and practices including cleaning equipment, chemicals, and hazardous materials.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
- Ability to read, write and perform arithmetic calculations at a level appropriate for the position and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to interact and communicate in an effective and dependable manner, as well as establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with clientele such as students, staff, faculty and co-workers.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
Retired CalPERS members selected for this vacancy must request and be approved for reinstatement from retirement prior to the start date. Employment of retired CalPERS members will typically be for 90 days or less and must be for work requiring specialized skills or for a bona fide emergency to prevent stoppage of business.
Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
Ability to work in outdoor areas where there is exposure to extreme elements, such as noise, dust, dirt, heat, cold, wind and rain.
Must be able to work overtime, occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position classification has been defined as "Non-exempt" and is subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
May be required to complete a Supplemental Employment Application Questionnaire, which contains questions pertaining to conviction history, and submit it when requested by Cal Poly. This disclosure is confidential and will not necessarily preclude applicants from employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
Review Begin Date: 08-23-2016
Requisition Number: 104141
To Apply: All applicants must apply online at: https://www.calpolyjobs.org.
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, along California's scenic central coast and midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With a budget of $168.5 million, the university has a student enrollment exceeding 17,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency