|American University (AU) is one of the largest employers in Washington, DC and consistently ranks among the nation’s great universities and a best place to work. Our campus community is cosmopolitan and globally diverse representing all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and 150 countries. Sitting atop Embassy Row, only a few miles from downtown Washington's centers of government, business, research, commerce, and art, our 84-acre traditional-style main campus is located in a scenic residential area of northwest Washington. At AU we offer a competitive benefits package including a 2:1 matching retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their families, robust professional development opportunities and a variety of flex work programs. For more information regarding our benefits and life at AU please visit http://www.american.edu/hr/ProspEmployee.cfm and http://www.american.edu/hr/Benefits.cfm |
The Strategic Contracts Team Lead is responsible for managing and administering all aspects of contract negotiations to procure necessary goods and services in support of the university, except for those contracts specific to Facilities or Construction. The Team Lead researches vendor best value options in coordination with internal customers, and works within policies to justify competitive bidding or sole source justifications of potential suppliers. The incumbent develops and maintains good customer relations with both external vendors and internal stakeholders. This position supervises a team that includes a contract coordinator.
|Educational Requirements: |
|Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred. |
|Minimum Requirements: |
- Five years in contracts and purchasing environment including experience with a financial system, knowledge about bidding processes (i.e., bid specification development, bidder qualifications, legal requirements, and opening/evaluation/awarding of bids)
- Knowledge about contract law related to offers/acceptance/warranties of purchases/requests for proposal, and other bid processes
- Strong interpersonal skills underscored with courteousness, tactfulness, and professionalism
- Effective written and verbal communications skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment and discretion in handling difficult, complex issues
- Effective teamwork skills
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking capability that produces accurate, detail-oriented work in a timely manner to meet stringent deadlines
- Flexibility to accept additional work assignments and projects as needed to meet daily operational needs
- Ability to negotiate contracts and settle related disputes
- Availability to travel off campus to attend work-related events (e.g., meetings, seminars, conferences, and other events)
- Proficiency with Microsoft computer programs/applications (e.g., Microsoft Office, Excel, Access, Outlook, Ellucian, and MS Project or equivalent)
- Understanding of fact-based negotiation
- Ability to adapt to change & multiple changing priorities
- Knowledge of business process design and continuous improvement
- Experience with sourcing strategy formulation and implementation
- Experience with data analysis
- Understanding of supplier relationship management & development
- Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) understanding
- Product and category knowledge
|Additional Information: |
Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
Applicants are encouraged to include a resume and cover letter.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.