Assistant Dean of Liberal Studies
Professional Non-Unit position, 12-month a year position.
The Assistant Dean of Liberal Studies hires, evaluates, and supervises full time and part time faculty members within their departments and serves their division in the absence of the Dean. They are the first point of contact for all student/faculty inquiries and problems within their departments. This position provides strategic leadership and administrative oversight for the academic departments within Liberal Studies division (First Year and Foundational Literacy, English as a Second Language, First Year Experience, and Interdisciplinary Studies).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recruit, hire and evaluate full and part time faculty for First Year and Foundational Literacy, English as a Second Language, First Year Experience and Interdisciplinary Studies. Works with Human Resources to increase diversity among the adjunct applicant pool.
- Lead program review process for the departments within their purview to continuously improve outcomes.
- Provides the Dean of Liberal Studies with the semester schedules and adjustments needed for their departments.
- Work with Department Chairs to recruit and select highly qualified full-time and adjunct faculty.
- Orient and support full time and adjunct faculty in their departments.
- Maintain the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement as they pertain to full-time and part-time faculty; work with Human Resources as needed on this.
- Review syllabi submitted by full-time and part-time faculty in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement. Work with faculty if improvement is needed.
- Work with Department Chairs and Program Coordinators in their departments to ensure consistency and quality of instruction in each area.
- Coordinates with Dean of Strategic Partnerships and Director of Gateway to College to support dual enrollment learners.
- Support/lead Professional Development activities for adjunct faculty in collaboration with the CTLI.
- Handle student/teacher complaints as these pertain to full-time and part-time faculty in their departments.
- Work with Division Deans, Student Support Center, Accessibility Services, Dean of Students, CTLI, Academic Technology, Human Resources, and other administrators to address the needs of full-time and adjunct faculty and to promote best practices in instruction.
- Provide support to the division's service learning and civic engagement courses.
- Attend Division and VP Staff Meetings.
- Conduct the business of the Division in the absence of the Dean of Liberal Studies
- Other duties as assigned.
REPORTS TO: Dean of Liberal Studies
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervises faculty in Liberal Studies Division.
SALARY: Anticipated salary is $80,000- $90,000 per year plus fringe benefits. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
STARTING DATE: July 2017
Submit resume and cover letter. Resume review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants selected for an interview will need to provide:
- copies of all academic transcripts
- the name, address, email and telephone number of at least three current professional references