| POSITION DETAILSMedgar Evers College is a comprehensive college in Brooklyn, New York with over 7,000 full-time and part-time students, offering both associate and baccalaureate degree programs. The College seeks a dynamic leader with proven expertise in providing legal guidance on a wide range of challenging issues, including, but not limited to: litigation, employment and labor law, compliance and contractual agreements, governance, fundraising, and immigration. The Executive Legal Counsel reports directly to the President and will have wide latitude for independent judgment. The Executive Legal Counsel also serves as the College's the campus Ethics Officer and Records Access Officer, an as the College's liaison to the University's Office of Legal Affairs.Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:|
* Serving as senior legal advisor to the President and members of his Executive Cabinet.
* Providing legal support to all levels of Medgar Evers College management, faculty, and staff.
* Providing ongoing legal counsel and advice to College staff in areas related to contract and commercial matters involving College and College-affiliated entities.
* Administration and interpretation of the University By-Laws, University and College policies and procedures, College governance charter, and various collective bargaining agreements.
* Providing legal opinions to the President, management, and employees on legal matters such as conflicts of interest, personnel issues, collections, intellectual property, and student and administrative issues.
* Assisting appropriate University, College, and other State and Federal officials in maintaining compliance with EEO, ADEA, ADA, Title VI, Title VII, and Title IX.
* Negotiating, drafting, editing, and reviewing a wide range of proposed, pending, and renewal contracts, including agreements with donors, suppliers, and internal and external business partners.
* Responding to policy and procedural inquiries from various college, university, and government officials.
* Reviewing subpoenas and requests for information under the Public Information Act.
* Developing effective and persuasive legal and transactional correspondence and documents.
* Conducting investigations and advising on compliance issues.
* Ensuring compliance with promotional and tenure standards and multiple position policy promulgated by the City University of New York.
* Providing time-sensitive reports and information to external sources such as the New York Commission on Public Integrity.
* Working with CUNY's Office of the General Counsel in managing and supporting litigation and administrative cases involving College officers, faculty, and employees.
* Performing other related duties as assigned by the President.QUALIFICATIONSThis position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience.Candidates must have a JD, be admitted to the N.Y. State Bar, and have at least eight years of related experience, preferably in a higher education environment. The successful candidate will have excellent communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution, and organizational skills as well as excellent judgment.CUNY TITLEAdministratorCOMPENSATION AND BENEFITSSalary commensurate with education and experience.CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.HOW TO APPLYTo apply, go to www.cuny.edu to access the employment page. Click the "search job postings" link, followed by the "Executive" link. Click the Job ID #15401 to review the posting and apply. Please upload your letter of interest and current resume.CLOSING DATEOpen until filled, with resume review to begin on September 7, 2016.JOB SEARCH CATEGORYCUNY Job Posting: ExecutiveEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITYCUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.*Location:
* Medgar Evers College*Job Title:
* Executive Legal Counsel, Office of the President*Job ID: