Performs billing related functions requiring analysis, evaluation and an in-depth understanding of the related computer systems. Adapts procedures, processes and techniques to accomplish the requirements of the position. Duties and tasks involve variety and complexity. May serve as a resource to others in the resolution of problems and issues. May provide assistance in training personnel in related billing functions as needed. Works under general supervision.
- Daily input of hospital charges for surgical cases. Involves great attention to detail of CPT codes and proper ICD-9/ICD-10 diagnosis coding.
- Registers patients to enable the billing to be completed for M-lab Clients and outside consults accurately assigning proper insurances used through our current billing/registration system.
- Reviews and verifies insurance information provided for the patients against the program provisions (e.g., Medicare, Blue Cross)
- Cross-trained on the billing for M-Lab Clients on the hospital side using proper ICD-9/ICD-10 diagnosis coding and procedural CPT coding.
- Responds effectively and timely to both external and internal customers in regards to e-mails and phone calls. Involves professional written responses, strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills, and good communication skills.
- May be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description as needed.
- EDUCATION: High School Diploma required.
- EXPERIENCE: Strong knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid, Blue Cross and Commercial Insurances and processing Prior Authorizations is required. Good communication skills required both oral and written.
- EMR experience is preferred but not required.
- Billing experience is preferred but not required.
- Must be detailed oriented and able to analyze data and reports received daily.
- EQUIPMENT/TOOLS: Computer terminal and printer, facsimile machine, photocopier and adding machine.
- PERSONAL TRAITS, QUALITIES, AND APTITUDES: Must be able to:
- Multi-task and be detailed oriented
- Accept responsibility and direction
- Work independently
- Promote a team environment
- Communicate effectively with both internal and external customers
- Knowledge of Excel, Microsoft Word, and Access are helpful but not required.
- Recognizes HIPPA compliance as related to patient confidentiality
- WORKING CONDITIONS: Inside environment.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to sit for long periods of time. Minimal amount of walking, standing, reaching and or lifting required.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.