ASU Enterprise Partners – Finance – Vice President for Investments
What we do:
ASU Enterprise Partners is a global-reaching non-profit based in Tempe, AZ. We raise resources to support students, researchers and programs at Arizona State University so that they can improve the world.
As is customary at ASU, we operate a little differently: not only do we cultivate philanthropy, we also identify real estate, technology transfer, international partnership and defense research opportunities that yield private support for the university. You can learn more about each of these entities at www.asuenterprisepartners.org.
Who we are:
Our team is varied – fundraisers, designers, scholars, financial wizards, ex-CEOs, filmmakers, venture capitalists, inventors, volunteers – and each member brings a different perspective to our vision.
Regardless of background, we share a mission that we can help, that quality higher education should be accessible -- no matter from where one comes -- and that we are responsible for the wellbeing of the communities we live in and serve.
Want to advance the most innovative university in the country – and your work? Join us.
There is no single career journey at Enterprise Partners. Roles often shift as passions are discovered. You’ll be encouraged to look across the organization to determine if new areas are of interest – whether in fundraising, real estate development, social media or something else. Training courses are offered every week, and our main offices face ASU’s Tempe campus, where our employees’ tuition is significantly reduced.
Our advancement opportunities are real – and so is the ability to be part of an intellectually stimulating, people-focused, mission-driven team doing meaningful work in a beautiful, vibrant, sunlit location.
Details about our comprehensive benefits are available at https://www.asuenterprisepartners.org/careers/benefits.
Partner Description: ASU Enterprise Partners Shared Services
Enterprise Partners Shared Services comprises teams of investment and finance, law, information systems, human resources and communication experts who provide centralized guidance and support to each entity that makes up ASU Enterprise Partners: the ASU Foundation, University Realty LLC, ASU Research Enterprises, Arizona Technology Enterprises and Research Collaboratory at ASU.
Role summary: ASU Enterprise Partners is a holding organization of affiliated organizations supporting Arizona State University. One of the key functions of ASU Enterprise Partners (EP) is to oversee the university’s endowment and other investments. These investments currently total approximately $700M. ASU EP uses a discretionary, outsourced chief investment officer (OCIO) model to manage its active investments. As the endowment approaches $1 billion over the next several years, the current plan is to move many of these investment functions in house. We are seeking a Vice President of Investments to oversee the existing investment framework but also to assist us as we slowly transition to an in house model.
More specifically, the Vice President of Investments at ASU Enterprise Partners (EP) is responsible for managing the Arizona State University Foundation for A New American University’s (ASUF) highly diversified investment assets including the Long-Term Investment Pool (LTIP), Short-Term Investment Pool (STIP), non-pooled endowments and split interest agreements to maximize long-term, risk adjusted returns. The Vice President for Investments will work closely with the Investment Committee, Outsourced Chief Investment Officer (OCIO), Outsourced Risk Advisor, and the ASU Enterprise Partners CFO in monitoring investments in the LTIP and STIP and other pools. The Vice President for Investments will make recommendations on the passive management of the STIP. Additionally, the Vice President of Investments will manage investment assets of the EP affiliates and will advise the EP affiliates on investment strategies. EP is a 501(c)3 corporation, ASUF is an affiliate of EP and both are supporting organizations of Arizona State University (University). The Vice President of Investments will report to the CEO of Enterprise Partners.
What you’ll do:
- Supervise investment staff
- Responsible for the support of the Investment Committee and oversight of the Outsourced Chief Investment Officer (OCIO), Risk Advisor and Custodian of EP
- Forge productive, fluid working relationships between the support and oversight parties including navigating shifts in investment priorities
- Oversee and coordinate the establishment of and adherence to risk models and strategic asset allocation as well as short-term tactical decisions
- Establish and formulate recommendations on Investment Policy Statement (IPS) changes
- Analyze selection and evaluation of an investment model and yearly evaluation of all external investment providers
- Lead and oversee investment strategy and portfolio management
- Manage the process of investments, redemptions, rebalancing, and capital calls/distributions with OCIO through Custodian
- Prepare materials for Investment Committee meetings
- Work closely with Chief Financial Officer to ensure all internal/external investment reporting and audit and tax return requirements are completed
- Review liquidity needs and the adequacy of the investment structure to meet the needs of EP, ASUF and the University
- Manage the passively managed Short-Term Investment Pool
- Develop and maintain the policies and the documentation of investment procedures and processes
- Lead all due diligence confirmation of the OCIO’s decisions, performance reporting and risk attribution
- Ensure the OCIO performs according to the IPS
- Work with the CEO and Investment Committee to set investment goals and strategies
- Provide information regarding investment choices and spending policy
- Negotiate and contract with external investment service vendors, including OCIO, Risk Advisor, Custodian, and investment managers
- Assist in the management and oversight of other investment pools, including non-pooled endowments, 401(k) Plan and split interest agreements
- Communicate as the primary spokesperson to EP and its affiliates including ASUF and their Board of Directors, the University and the community regarding investment performance
- Monitor global capital markets and general economic conditions to provide research and informed opinions regarding future trends and other factors that may impact the investment portfolio
- Lead special projects of the Investment Committee
- Maintain periodic reporting on investment performance for inclusion in monthly and quarterly reports
- Special projects as assigned