| To apply, please visit www.mghcareers.org and refer to job number 3035831 |
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Receiving general direction from the Chief of Service and Medical Director and reporting to the Administrative Director of the Department of OMFS, the Administrative Manager (AM) is responsible for the management of the day-to-day operations of the Wang 230 OMFS ambulatory care practice. The AM works highly independently with the physicians and other staff members to ensure a patient-oriented, quality-based flow of work. Drawing on a broad understanding of Hospital and MGPO practices and policies, and displaying a high degree of initiative and independent judgment, the AM will continually assess and direct a wide range of practice issues, including personnel and room management, facilities and systems issues, and project development. This position requires discretion and judgment to organize priorities, complete tasks, and handle confidential information. As a member of the Practice leadership team, the incumbent will provide cross coverage to manage staffing and/or operational issues, in a time sensitive manner.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists Chief, Medical Director, and Admin Director in establishing practice policies and procedures. Evaluates, initiates, and implements various practice systems and procedures and revises them as necessary to maximize efficiency.
- Completes daily walk-thru’s of the entire OMFS clinic to assess operational performance, staff morale, and patience satisfaction as well as identify areas for improvement. Understands at fundamental level how to complete all tasks completed by those under their leadership (i.e. Cadence scheduling, pt check-in/out, surgical assistant assignments, etc.)
- Receiving direction from the Medical Director, manages the OMFS practice’s clinic patient flow as well as the clinical support staff ensuring the clinic is properly staffed for the volume of visits and procedures scheduled. Oversees the clinic schedule ensuring that all necessary resources are available and troubleshoots whenever necessary, particularly room management and IV sedation scheduling. Also oversees the OR schedule and provides guidance to staff on triaging emergency, VIP, and waitlist cases for all providers.
- Manages clinical and support staff work schedules. Coordinates vacation coverage and sick time coverage for assigned staff. Collaborates with the Administrative Director and HR on future staffing needs of the practice to address staffing shortage in advance when possible or immediately when notified of pending changes.
- Evaluates no show, cancellation, wait times and other patient front-end quality of service indicators, particularly the practice’s CG-CAHPS patient satisfaction scores. Shares feedback with providers and staff and, more importantly, develops improvement plans to address improvement areas and monitors and tracks implementation.
- Maintains a high level of customer service in the outpatient ambulatory practice. Ensures that personnel greet patients in a prompt and courteous manner. Monitors staff/patient interactions and institutes customer service improvements.
- Ensures that patients receive appropriate information regarding scheduled appointments and procedures (e.g. letters, confirmation calls, documentation (i.e. labs, images, referral letters, etc.) required by patient before visit). Implements and improve call center operations to ensure equitable, yet timely distribution of appointments with providers. Identifies integration improvements between patient service coordinators (PSC) and front desk personnel.
- Troubleshoots patient-related issues, including clinical services and triage. Receiving direction from the Medical Director, develops and maintains process to triage clinical and administrative calls timely and appropriately.
- Set and monitor par levels for clinic and each room, ensuring efficient, yet appropriate supply and instruments are on hand. Collaborate with Central Sterile Processing and Materials Management to monitor and improve supply and instrument inventory processes.
- Manages supply and equipment ordering processes, ensuring that par levels are maintained for the clinic.
- Ensures that all equipment in clinic is operational and maintained. Coordinates the repair and maintenance of all office and clinical equipment in the practice, to include maintain active network contacts for maintenance and repair of equipment. Ensures smooth operations of the Anesthesia machine and the Pan/Ceph machine.
- Coordinates with Partners Information Resources Department to arrange for hardware/software installation, troubleshooting, system access, etc.; serves as resource for practice members for questions related to information systems; serves as custodian of any practice-owned software to ensure only authorized use and security.
- Serves as point person for practice environmental issues relating to repairs, cleaning, signage, security, etc. Establishes and enforces fire and safety regulations for the department, following established protocols, and ensuring compliance with Regulatory Agencies, including, but not limited to:, Joint Commission, OSHA, HIPAA, and Hospital guidelines.
- Serves as the departmental Super user for Epic. Maintains and updates master schedules, provider templates, etc. Implements new administrative and financial systems (CRMS, Patient Gateway, Epic) and monitors phone system to ensure access and throughput.
- Interacts with managers of the off-site OMFS and Dental practice sites (165 Cambridge St. and North Shore Center for Outpatient Care) to ensure that proper coordination of care and patient related matters are shared at the department level. Helps to troubleshoot issues regarding sharing of equipment or staffing and scheduling.
- Receiving direction from the Medical Director, coordinates outpatient care including compliance with meaningful use initiatives and patient education services. Makes regular updates to educational materials.
- Assists Medical Director and Quality and Safety Director in implementing ambulatory care directed quality and safety initiatives.
- Facilitates the implementation of clinical research projects into the ambulatory practice setting.
- Completes “sign-out” of responsibilities with both Admin and Medical Director before departing on Earned Time.
- Develops, oversees and monitors competency training for all staff to ensure training and compliance with regular competencies and task monitoring.
- Ensures vendor representatives in the OMFS clinic are in compliance with Hospital policy on Health Care Industry Representatives.
- Oversees Practice Patient Gateway site and manages patient and provider referrals in Epic.
- Collaborates with Health Information Systems (HIM) to ensure that hospital-wide centralized scanning is completed in timely and effective manner and develops processes to improve areas in need of improvement.
- Coordinates and conducts general staff meetings for assigned staff to ensure dissemination of information and solicit input from all staff members related to policies and procedures, day-to-day operations, etc.
- Attends appropriate meetings within and outside the hospital (Practice Management Forum, , Excellence Every Day Forum, Payor Forum, Service Improvement, etc.).
- Participates on all hospital-wide and practice-specific Epic work groups, training sessions, and monthly administrative meetings.
- Serves as clinic’s “timekeeper” prepares weekly payroll through Kronos Time Reporting and payroll system; enters employee time information and associated transactions (earned-time cash outs, ESL usage, etc.)
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as determined by department leadership.
- Manages operational budget for the Oral Surgery clinic, to include both the faculty and resident practices, and ensures alignment of expenses and revenue with approved budget;
- Drafts budget requests for both the Oral Surgery Physician practice and Hospital-based Resident Clinic practice to review with the Admin Director;
- Reviews various statistical reports regarding utilization and patient waiting times. Monitors monthly practice statistics, including visit volume and access reports.
- Develops and implements a recall system for Orthognathic Work-up (OWU) patients to ensure that timely and appropriate long-term, follow-up appointments are made.
- Supervises the cash collection process.
- Monitors supply inventory and reviews the ordering of supplies to make sure that enough supplies are on hand for clinical operations; also minimizes the over-ordering of supplies.
- Assists Admin Director in submitting capital budget requests.
- Orders equipment for the OMFS Wang-230 practice in coordination with the Medical Director and Admin Director
- Ensures the careful and judicial use of overtime.
- Hires, supervises, coordinates, and evalutes the activities and performance of the OMFS support and clinical staff to ensure the efficient operation of the unit.
- Oversees new employee sign-on, orientation, training, and competency assessments.
- Coordinates with Human Resources, MGPO Office, Admin Director, Payroll, and Research Finance Offices for processing of all employee changes in PeopleSoft Manager Self-Service.
- Identifies and addresses educational needs of staff and designs a plan to meet them.
- Builds and maintains ongoing working relationships with staff to facilitate positive morale.
- Troubleshoots all personnel issues and conducts corrective action as necessary.
- Reviews and works with the Admin Director to address salary and wage issues.
- Ensures that employee performance evaluations are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensures the number of regular and overtime employee hours does not exceed budgeted/appropriate levels. Monitors the use of earned time and unscheduled earned time.
- Approves time off requests and ensures adequate coverage for areas of responsibility.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of staff members under his or her supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Minimum of 3-5 years of directly related experience required in an ambulatory/clinical department. Prefer management experience in surgical ambulatory operations with demonstrated success in implementing continual operations improvements with metrics to verify the outcomes.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Time Management: Exceptional organizational skills and ability to organize time and priorities effectively, asking for direction when appropriate. Flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures.
- Communications skills: Exceptional skills for a varied workforce that includes MD’s RN’s, NP, PA, Surgical Assistants, Residents, students and clerical staff.
- Quality Assurance: Skills to work efficiently and effectively and strive to do so in all aspects of position. Ability to effectively manage day-to-day operations, establish and maintain policies and procedures, monitor service statistics, manage patient flow and "front desk" operations, coordinate space and infrastructure issues, and ensure effective coordination of training programs. Ability to engender these skills among staff.
- Personnel Management: Ability to skillfully handle issues of sensitive nature with respect to confidentiality, abiding by institutional guidelines. Ability to recruit, train and supervise staff and to ensure that performance evaluations, payroll, employee changes and other HR transactions are completed in an accurate and timely manner. Ability to provide support, direction and development to staff.
- Professional Knowledge: Sufficient knowledge to improve, enhance, or upgrade complex financial, operational and technical systems. Seeks continuous professional education.
- Leadership: Ability to identify issues and improvement projects. Demonstrates integrity. Ability to communicate effectively, sell ideas, and take ownership and responsibility for activities.
- Fiscal Responsibility: Effective financial skills, including ability to monitor timely submissions.
- Discretion and Confidentiality: Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters discreetly and to ensure confidentiality guidelines are maintained by staff.
- Analytical Skills: Ability to conduct operational analysis and understand statistical reports.
- Critical Thinking/Decision Making: Ability to appropriately evaluate all aspects of a situation and to independently make appropriate and timely decisions.
- Information Systems/Technology Skills: Exceptional computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office (operating systems, word processing, database, electronic mail, Internet, spreadsheet), OR Scheduling, and other office management systems.
- Safety/Compliance: Knowledge in all aspects of safety and ability to ensure a safe environment for staff and laboratory subjects.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Ambulatory care setting.
Responsible for day-to-day management of approximately 25-30 employees including staff who are in lead roles for areas of responsibility. This includes hiring, training, corrective action, performance evaluations etc.
Supports 18+ Physician and Residents
Actively manages and is responsible for a $7+ million budget. Works to improve access to service, which relates to increase volume and revenue. Monitors the use of overtime and supply ordering. Ensures timely submission of all encounter forms.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged. Primary Location: MA-Boston-15 Parkman - MGH
Work Locations: 15 Parkman - MGH 15 Parkman Avenue Boston 02114
Organization: Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
Standard Hours: 40
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Recruiting Department: MGH Oral Surgery
Job Posting: Mar 16, 2017