Financial Accountant - (170000KS)
The University of Maryland, Baltimore Office of Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance is currently seeking a Financial Accountant. This position will be responsible for the post award management of sponsored projects. Responsibilities include sponsor invoicing, award setup and maintenance and financial reporting.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Review award documentation to identify key data elements, award terms and conditions and invoicing and reporting requirements. Ensure information is reflected accurately n the financial system.
- Interpret reports to identify sponsored projects that require invoicing and financial reporting. Complete invoicing and financial report in compliance with the terms and conditions stated in award documents and ensure deadlines are met.
- Maintain performance compliance with University policies and procedures regarding internal, business, fiscal and operational accountability and compliance. Assist in the coordination of responses to internal and other external agencies, including site visits, desk reviews and audits.
- Review accounting entries for compliance with applicable grant and contract terms, Federal and State regulations and University policies and procedures.
- Identify and investigate compliance deficiencies. Conduct budget, financial, and/or fiscal reviews and make recommendations.
- Review financial data for accuracy and clarity. Collaborate with management and internal/external partners to support University goals and objectives.
- Evaluate financial scope and objectives. Perform testing to accomplish reviews and special projects. Assisting campus departments to correct identified deficiencies as needed.
- Support management with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Develop and understanding of contract, grant and cooperative agreement terms and conditions, as well as other administrative rules, cost principles and regulations under OMB' Uniform Guidance, the FAR and the NIH Grants Policy Statement.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or business related field. A master's in business or related field is preferred and may be substituted for two years of experience.
Experience: Three (3) years of experience in financial or management accounting, budgeting, auditing, assessment of internal controls, or financial analysis required including one (1) year in relevant accounting specialization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of best practices relating to sponsored projects as well as all relevant federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and programs/policies for meeting compliance.
- Strong budget, financial, or fiscal analytical ability.
- Demonstrated ability to implement, novel ideas and incorporate methodologies into processes, as well as the ability to identify areas for development and improvement in the operation and the organization.
- Ability to use sound judgment to effectively solve problems within the scope of the position.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- High level of discretion for confidential information; ability to appropriately handle critical information and sensitive situations.
- Flexibility to handle a variety of tasks and shift priorities simultaneously and meet concurrent deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to effectively represent department and interact with all levels of staff and external contacts; ability to work as an effective team member.
- Cooperative and service-oriented attitude; must be able to work under pressure and maintain a professional demeanor.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - e1254e
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
: Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance
: Mar 16, 2017