NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clinical Specialist.
In this role, the successful candidate Assists the Director in the coordination of patient care, training programs, development and procedures/protocol and outreach/marketing for Speech-Language Pathology Department. Demonstrates an understanding of the goals of the departments and establishes objectives by which the assigned staff will accomplish them
- Demonstrates continued proficiency in skills required to treat assigned patient population.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Is responsible for submitting daily attendance records, prepares monthly reports. Prepares monthly reports and submits to Director on a timely basis for review. Prepares minutes and/or provides records of departmental and interdepartmental meetings. Oversees departmental records and audits clinical files as needed. Instructs and provides feedback to staff regarding standards and procedures in report writing and documentation. Oversees the purchase, storage or maintenance of supplies and equipment for department and makes related recommendation. Maintains records of purchases and received equipment. Delegates responsibilities for routine care and maintenance of supplies and equipment to staff.
- Assists in development and implementation of new procedures or programs under supervision of the Director. Reviews and updates procedures in P&P manual according to changing departmental needs. Communicates changes in procedures to staff, monitors implementation of changes. Considers and encourages suggestions from staff to upgrade quality of program. Suggests new programs to respond to changing patient care needs, changes in health care delivery and capabilities of staff. Identifies problems and plans for future needs (re: space, time, resources, health care delivery, and capabilities of staff.). Reviews departmental goals and direction with Director.
- Assesses, directs, and implements intervention for selected patients referred for speech and language evaluation and treatment. Uses medical and social history to determine requirements for and constraints on the SLP evaluation. Interviews patient and caregivers to verify and obtain information, determine functional communication ability, and establish patients understanding of disability. Conduct SLP evaluations according to procedures outlined in procedures manual. Refers patients to appropriate specialist when patients are outside geographic area. Provides concise relevant reports regarding evaluation findings and patients progress. Conveys recommendations for patient management made by staff to referring physician and other medical caregivers.
- Counsels assigned staff: Evaluates and documents SLP extern performance, counsels and registers corrective actions when necessary (in consultation with Director) according to NYULMC personnel policy and procedures. Documents staff performance in clear, concise, manner. Guides and counsels staff toward performance improvement and or development. Communicates the performance difficulties of a given staff member to the Director. Monitors and/or executes CFY supervision program.
- Monitors all patient care activities and assists Director in coordinating smooth flow of activities in the Speech-Language Pathology Adult Rehabilitation program. Receives and processes patient referrals, prioritizes scheduling and supervises the implementation of established patient care procedures. Meets with assigned staff and with other departments as necessary in order to evaluate and maintain patients progress and monitor needs. Monitors and ensures accurate and timely documentation of treatment performed by staff.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
Master's degree and CCC-SLP and New York State License required. Minimum five years following Certification in speech-language pathology with five years devoted to the area of specialization (Cochlear Implant SLP). Continuing education and demonstrated advanced expertise within area of specialty also required. Excellent organizational and communication/interpersonal skill required.
Required Licenses: Speech Pathologist Lic-NYS, ASHA Cert, Occup Thrpst License-NYS, Phys Thrpst License-NYS
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.