NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Research Technician.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing advanced lab duties under general supervision as well as more advanced duties under direct supervision. This position is responsible for conducting laboratory assays and maintaining biorepositories.
- Lab Duties: Assists with the ordering and tracking of laboratory supplies. Performs routine technical tasks, and assists in the general maintenance of the lab. General techniques in biochemistry, molecular biology and cell culture. Runs standard lab experiments. Coordinates the repair and preventative maintenance of lab equipment. Performs all general and advanced procedures within the lab with minimal supervision. May manage lab operations for the Principal Investigator by supervising fellows. May be responsible for research/lab quality control and compliance.
- Develops research techniques and methodologies. May determine and establish laboratory policies, procedures and practices.
- Complete microbiome and genomic assays.
- Ensures timely and accurate completion of research projects.
- Oversees processing of received fecal and oral microbiome samples and DNA repositories and records/tracks specimens in database.
- Communication/Relationship with Others: Cooperates, communicates and relates well to all levels of Medical Center. Listens carefully to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions or obtain needed information. Communications ideas, problems, suggestions and messages in a timely and effective manner. Maintains the confidentiality of all research information.
- Judgement/Decision-Making: Is able to recognize problems as they occur, and through the application of appropriate policy/procedure, determine and/or recommends the appropriate solution. Seeks guidance as necessary for the performance of duties; asks appropriate questions when in doubt and utilizes reference sources/materials to ensure accuracy.
- Participates and performs other related duties as required.
- To qualify you must have a Bachelor of Science degree in Life Sciences or a related field, with three years of experience.
- Specialization in three or more laboratory procedures is required.
- A solid foundation in basic lab protocols as well as significant experience in areas such as procedures is essential and required.
- Possess the knowledge and experience in specific areas such as Biochemistry, Histology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, etc.
- Ability to multi-task and manage projects.
- Excellent oral communication skills, including the ability to interact on the telephone with study participants using patience and listening skills.
- Master's degree in biological sciences
- Time management skills
- Organizational skills
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.