NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Research Scientist.
We are seeking a highly motivated and energetic person who is interested in working as a Research Scientist in the new Center for Biospecimen Research and Development (CBRD). The function of the CBRD is to drive impactful scientific strides using well-annotated specimens. The Center will also facilitate translational research, match human specimen resources to scientific needs; foster multi-investigator collaborative projects and catalyze scientific innovation.
- Participates and performs other related duties as required.
- Possesses the ability to recognize problems as they occur and determine and/or recommend the appropriate solution through the application of appropriate policy/ procedures
- Seeks guidance as necessary for the performance of duties, asks appropriate questions when in doubt, and utilizes reference sources/materials to ensure accuracy.
- Advises appropriate personnel of situations/problems requiring intervention or follow-up attention.
- Communication/Relationship with Others
- Cooperates, communicates and relates well to all levels of Medical Center.
- Communicates ideas, problems, suggestions, and messages in a timely and effective manner.
- Maintains the confidentiality of all research information.
- Lab Duties
- Assists with preparation of tissue specimens according to specific research protocols
- Assists with gross description and dissection of human tissue surgical specimens including description of gross anatomic features of surgical specimens, preparing tissues for preservation and/or histological processing, and preparing and submitting appropriate tissue sections for routine processing and for frozen sections
- Assists with both automated and manual nucleic acid extraction from fresh/frozen FFPE tissue, blood, and saliva for downstream applications
- Involved in specimen accessioning and data collection, including all manual and computerized data entry.
- Maintains laboratory, equipment, and accurate records of quality assurance control; assists with teaching and implementation of new procedures.
- To qualify you must have a MD or PhD from an approved NAACLS educational training program
5 years experience.
- Strong computer skills required.
- Effective oral and written communication skills required.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.