Chinese American International School
Lower School Chinese Language Teaching Associate
Position summary: Teaching Associate (TA) is a full time, entry level, non-exempt position paid hourly. TAs work closely with a mentor lead teacher to support students and have opportunities to grow professionally in the field of education.
Join the vibrant community at the Chinese American International School's Lower School campus as a Chinese Teaching Associate. Become part of a team striving to be the world’s most innovative, inspiring, and influential Chinese English dual-language immersion school.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate finds resonance with CAIS’s mission to Embrace Chinese, Become your Best Self, and Create your Place in the World . As CAIS aims to empower independent, effective, and inspired learners, we look for a candidate adept at student-centered pedagogy such as differentiation and use of assessment to inform teaching. The candidate will enter an environment that values social emotional learning alongside academic challenge.
CAIS offers a dynamic dual culture setting, in which faculty are immersed in a culture of language learners. We look for a candidate who will embrace CAIS’s work to create an equitable, inclusive environment where all faculty, students, and families are supported in their individual identities. We welcome all applicants who aim to actively support and participate in our diverse and inclusive community. CAIS seeks a candidate who is eager to take on opportunities for professional growth.
The CAIS Board of Trustees and administration are expressly dedicated to ensuring that CAIS is a great place work. As a critical component of our Strategic Vision, the school has committed to attracting, developing, retaining, and rewarding top-tier faculty and excellent educators with a benefits package including:
- Salary aligned with the Bay Area’s competitive standards
- Opportunities for professional development, support, and growth
- Comprehensive insurance package (covering 100% of premiums for individual employee)
Position responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- In coordination with the lead teacher, plan and implement engaging learning experiences in alignment with the curriculum for individual, small and large group activities.
- Meet the varied needs of children in the classroom by scaffolding and extending classroom lessons.
- Help to create a positive classroom community in which all children feel valued. Support implementation of positive behavioral systems. Actively supervise and redirect students.
- Provide for the physical safety of children.
- Lead a study hall and perform duties in the Extended Day program.
- Actively supervise students during lunch and/or recess times.
- Assist in the daily operations of the classroom.
- Use only Chinese language with students.
- Attend meetings as necessary.
- Assist with school’s special events as needed.
- Substitute for the teacher by independently leading the class.
- Keep current in pedagogical thinking, strategies and techniques.
- Personally adhere to and support students in following school rules.
- Demonstrate an affirming attitude toward the school, a willingness to receive feedback, a professional demeanor and integrity.