About Digital Promise
Digital Promise is an independent, bipartisan 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization authorized by Congress to spur innovation in education for all levels of learners. Positioned at the intersection of educators, entrepreneurs, and researchers, Digital Promise identifies, develops, and promotes strategies to improve all levels of education and provide Americans with the knowledge and skills needed to compete in the global economy. Digital Promise is a fast-paced, growing, entrepreneurial organization that values and rewards performance, collaboration, and innovation.
About the Initiative
Digital Promise, with support from the Verizon Foundation and Verizon Wireless, is partnering with seventy-five U.S. middle schools across the country to create innovative learning environments and fully document the process so others can learn from their experiences. With a goal to close the digital learning gap at a diverse array of middle schools, this initiative will provide students with one-to-one access to mobile learning technology in the classroom and at home, educators with personalized professional development, and all participants with a national community of practice. The resulting stories, resources, and policies will be shared in real time on the Verizon Innovative Learning Schools website, creating a behind-the-scenes guidebook for supporting students and teachers with learning technologies.
About the Position
Digital Promise is seeking a Technical Project Manager to support Verizon Innovative Learning Schools. The Technical Project Manager will work closely with another technical project manager and be an integral part of the team. He/She will provide direct technology support to schools for the planning and implementation of a 1:1 environment and assist in the compilation and distribution of technology-related best practices across the project and with the wider education community. Experience and interest in IT and/or IT in a K-12 school environment is strongly preferred. This position includes opportunities to attend conferences, conduct school visits and actively partake in the development, planning and implementation of ideas.
This posting is listed for Washington, DC and Redwood City, CA locations. DC is the preferred location.
- Direct Support of Technology in VILS Districts (~60%)
- Collaborate with Digital Promise staff and school leadership to develop and execute strategic plans for technology implementation.
- Work with incoming school and district leaders on the creation and implementation of a project management plan that will address all components of technology readiness prior to rollout. Sample items include: inventory planning, mobile device management and filtering, and creation of school and district technology policies.
- Support the overall distribution and inventory of tablets in the program, and serve as the primary point of contact for IT departments from a portfolio of schools across the program.
- Create efficient project management systems for tracking and analyzing device incidents.
- Provide direct and indirect support of approximately half of the schools in the project, split between two Technical Project Managers.
- Creating Resources for Dissemination on Best Practices (~25%)
- Prepare briefing/meeting materials and reports for funders.
- Collaborate with Verizon Innovative Learning Schools team to create resources for best practices to be shared within and beyond the project.
- Plan and facilitate relevant meetings and convenings for district technology leaders on a monthly basis.
- Non-IT Project Management (~15%)
- Assist in recruitment, selection, and onboarding of incoming districts for each cohort.
- Track and report progress on project standards for district contacts, school leaders, and coaches across the project.
- Manage project database and keep information up-to-date.