VCUQatar (www.qatar.vcu.edu) is the international branch campus of Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of the Arts (VCUarts). Located in Richmond, Virginia, VCUarts (www.arts.vcu.edu) is the top-ranked public art school in the U.S. VCUQatar was established in 1998 through a partnership with the Qatar Foundation and offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking; a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history; and a Master of Fine Arts degree in design. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUQatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. The current student body represents a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from 41 countries.
VCUQatar is dedicated to global outreach and education and provides students with an environment for cross-cultural exchange that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation. Examples of this mission are the two significant international conferences hosted by VCUQatar-- the biennial Tasmeem Doha and the biennial Hamad bin Khalifa Islamic Art Symposium. VCUQatar attracts globally recognized designers, academics and contributors to contemporary visual culture while fostering sustainable partnerships with the regional community that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of Qatar. Having established itself as a center of excellence for education and research, VCUQatar has substantial involvement with the influential art and design world of the Middle East, and is a catalyst for the growth and development of these fields in the region.
VCUQatar has 131 full-time faculty and staff and a student body of 363. VCUQatar was the first campus established in Education City, a unique 2500-acre campus community. VCUQatar was joined by Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service, Carnegie-Mellon University, Texas A&M University, Weill Cornell Medical College, Northwestern University, HEC Paris and University College of London.
Qatar, with English as the standard second language, is a progressive country in the Arabian Gulf and remains one of the healthiest economies in the Gulf region. Doha offers all the conveniences found in a contemporary and cosmopolitan city, and also maintains a traditional Arab flavor, evident in the old markets and the city’s Islamic Arab architecture. The Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M.Pei opened in November 2008 and the Arab Museum of Modern Art (Mathaf) opened in 2010. The U.S. Embassy considers Qatar among the safest countries in the world for Americans.
About the opportunity
About the opportunity
The Associate Dean for Administration will serve as a key strategic advisor to the Dean for all administrative operations of VCUQatar. As the chief financial officer, the Associate Dean for Administration will be the Dean’s principal financial advisor, and will direct and coordinate all financial planning and resource allocation for the annual operating budget. Through close collaborative relationships with senior VCUQatar leadership, department/program administrators, and colleagues in the VCUarts Office of the Dean, the Associate Dean will ensure a sound financial environment and strong business practices to ensure timely and accurate financial information; monitor accounts; ensure compliance; and safeguard resources and reduce risk. The Associate Dean for Administration oversees the administrative areas of Finance, Human Resources, Technology Services, as well as the Events Manager and the Academic Resources Manager.
- Advise and inform the Dean on the administrative operation of the campus and work closely with all campus administrators to ensure compliance with applicable university, state, and federal policies, procedures, and regulations, as well as Qatari law, and the “Agreement to Amend, restate, and Renew the 2002 Agreement to Establish and Operate the Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar.”
- Collaborate with colleagues in the VCUarts Dean’s Office and other relevant home campus offices to coordinate regular policy review; organize policy development; identify issues that require policy guidance; ensure that active policies provide consistent and easily-understood processes to faculty, staff, and students; and ensure that proposals for new policies and/or updates to current policies are vetted by appropriate partners in the VCUarts Dean’s Office, university offices, and Qatar Foundation.
- Contribute to the development of VCUQatar’s strategic plan and evaluate the administrative impact of long range planning and advises the Dean on related resource strategies.
- Work with the VCUQatar administrative team as a collaborative partner and establishes credibility as an effective developer of solutions to administrative challenges.
- In collaboration with the Dean, develop and coordinate the annual academic and operating budget planning process, forecast and predict resource requirements for new and existing programs, and work closely with the Dean and other administrators on faculty proposals, special initiatives, and budget submissions.
- Build and support collaborative relationships with the VCUarts Dean’s Office, VCU administrators, Qatar Foundation, and peer universities in Education City; travels to home campus as required by ongoing business needs and to bolster professional communication and relationships, and develop a deeper understanding of home campus culture and best practices.
- Make presentations to the faculty, senior leadership, and others, as needed; attend Joint Advisory Board Meetings and makes/prepares presentation material for the Dean, as appropriate.
- Thoughtfully mentor and evaluate administrative directors/managers to achieve strategic objectives.
- Manage and provide guidance to procurement operations including staff supervision and legal compliance.
- Oversee an annual external audit and internal university audits.
- Oversee all other administrative functions including the coordination of faculty and staff personnel programs, and payroll; has broad authority for human resources; in concert with the Dean, implements strategic personnel objectives; manages grants and contracts; technology services; and contributes to facilities and space planning with the Dean and department/program leadership.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in business administration or other relevant field or an equivalent combination of experience, training, and education.
- Appropriate supervisory experience managing staff, preferably in a university setting; ability to mentor and train staff.
- Excellent skills in budget and financial management, human resources, and administration; thorough knowledge and understanding of protocols and best practices in budget and finance, accounting, financial reporting, contract and grant administration, human resources, business services, procurement, operations, and risk management; sound judgment; analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced project management skills and political acumen; capacity to work independently, prioritize and manage multiple priority assignments, and shift to accommodate changing demands; recognize the importance of confidentiality; and meet sensitive deadlines.
- Leadership and strong interpersonal skills to develop and foster effective professional relationships; share a commitment to building and maintaining a trusting and inclusive environment that advances diversity and equity among faculty, staff, and students; demonstrates professionalism, superior service, and upholds the University’s Code of Conduct.
- Proven ability to interpret policies and procedures, analyze data and make sensible recommendations and decisions.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; including the ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with senior leadership, faculty and all levels of staff.
- Ability to make effective, persuasive, and easily-understood presentations on complex topics to senior leadership, faculty and staff; ability to clearly articulate policies and decisions.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCUQatar.
- Competitive international salary
- Tax protection for U.S. Taxpayers
- 30% Off-shore supplement to base salary
- Medical Insurance (100% employer funded premium and employer cost shared options available)
- Fully furnished villa or apartment including wireless internet
- Annual travel allowance to home of record (to include a spouse and dependents relocated to Qatar)
- Monthly transportation allowance
- Educational reimbursement for up to 4 dependent children enrolled in an accredited K-12 program
- International Professional Development and Research Opportunities
Submit the following application materials via VCU eJobs.
- Letter of Interest that conveys relevant professional and/or academic experience
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of five professional references including names with titles and contact information (references will not be checked prior to candidates’ approval)
Only electronic applications submitted via VCU eJobs will be accepted.
The Letter of Interest should be submitted as a PDF in the “Cover Letter/Letter of Application” section in eJobs; the CV should be submitted as a PDF in the “Curriculum Vitae (CV)” section of eJobs; and the list of References should be submitted as a PDF in the “Other Document” section of eJobs.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.