The Assistant Director of Biomedical Informatics Research & Opearations will support the operational functions of BCBI for major statewide initiatives, and will serve as the technical liaison for assigned projects with BCBI collaborators across Brown University and its affiliated hospitals, as well as regional/national/international partners. He/she will work with senior leadership to develop research policies and procedures for BCBI faculty, staff, students, and affiliates, and will oversee a range of projects in biomedical research, clinical, and public health contexts.
- Support operational functions of BCBI to meet service roles for major statewide initiatives (e.g., Advance-RI)
- Oversee a range of projects involving students, researchers, and clinicians in biomedical research, clinical, and public health contexts
- Manage day-to-day activities of BCBI research staff, including biomedical data scientists, analysts, and research assistants, ensuring that tasks are appropriately prioritized relative to BCBI commitments and overall project timelines
- Serve as liaison with BCBI partners, including those within Brown (e.g., Data Science Practice), its healthcare affiliates (Lifespan, Care New England, and the Providence VA Medical Center), and statewide healthcare organizations (e.g., Rhode Island Quality Institute), to ensure that joint initiatives are on track, appropriately resourced, and responsive to partner expectations
- Work closely with BCBI senior leadership to develop long-term vision and appropriation of resources to achieve major objectives to meet needs of BCBI faculty and partners
- Work with BCBI faculty to support precollege, undergraduate, graduate, and medical student as well as medical resident and fellow educational activities of BCBI that may be done in coordination with partners
- Provide process support and allocation of BCBI resources to meet needs of extramurally funded research and operations projects
- Lead development of dissemination and outreach plans for BCBI initiatives and projects
- Help define policies and procedures to ensure that BCBI faculty, staff, students, and affiliates adhere to standards and best practices as recommended by institutional, state, and federal guidelines
- Bachelorâ??s degree, ideally in a biological or biomedical discipline, additional graduate coursework, training, or certification in business management and project management
- At least 10 years of experience with leading information services teams, ideally within a healthcare organization
- Exceptional communication skills, with ability to convey technical concepts to multi-stakeholder groups, including those with minimal technical skills
- Strong leadership skills in guiding technical teams to meet needs for complex, multi-stakeholder projects, from concept to implementation
- Proven track-record of leadership of technical teams and ability to prioritize tasks
- Exceptionally strong problem-solving skills, ideally within healthcare or biomedical research environment
- Proficiency in application suites, programming languages, and operating systems
- Demonstrable ability to foster relationships across multiple stakeholder types, especially in the context of health care, biomedical research, and government
- Comfort in working in a fast-paced environment, with multiple competing priorities, and ability to develop meaningful prioritization of tasks that advance institutional goals
- Develop models for fostering growth for technical and research staff
- Experience with developing and implementing process improvement through auditing, investigation, and management of technical and research staff, ideally in a healthcare environment
- Implementation and use of formal project management approaches for leading technical and research teams and developing models of accountability and general improvement
Criminal Background and Education Check Required
Recruiting Start Date:2017-03-08-08:00
Job Posting Title:Assistant Director of Biomedical Informatics Research & Operations
Worker Sub-Type:Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.