Director of Student Life
Oliverian School is an alternative, college-preparatory boarding high school for bright adolescents who have not felt at home in traditional settings. Our supportive academic and student-life program helps students embrace their unique identity, purpose, and voice so that they can contribute to any situation and find their place in the world.
The director of student life provides overall strategic leadership, program development, and day-to-day management to the student life department, which oversees residential life, recreation, adventure learning, personal growth, and independent-living programming. The student life department also oversees our safety/emergency, medical, student transportation, and disciplinary systems in cooperation with other departments and the head of school. Student life works closely with the academic and counseling departments to ensure that their objectives are supported in the evenings and weekends. The ideal student life director is a creative, systems-oriented manager with boarding school and therapeutic or special education experience. This position requires excellent planning, organization, program development, and leadership abilities. It’s an exciting role for someone who wants to mentor educators and views adolescence as an unparalleled opportunity for setting one’s course in life.
This position requires a leader who is organized, fearless, compassionate, flexible, organized, energetic, and relates well with young people. The ideal candidate will have significant management experience as well as a demonstrated commitment to working with teenagers through both triumph and struggle. The director of student life is a 12 month position and reports directly to the head of school.
- Develop and manage a visionary evening and weekend program that is fun, safe, growth-oriented and supports our mission to help young people find their place in the world
- Evolve and manage our safety, emergency management, student transportation, and medical systems
- Lead and manage our residential life, recreation, adventure learning, personal growth, and independent-living programs
- Work with the head of school and other department directors to ensure programmatic integration
- Help the executive team (HOS and department directors) evolve and manifest the school’s mission and approach
- Develop and manage a disciplinary program that is restorative for both student and community
- Represent the school publicly and assist the admissions process as needed
- Liaison with local police, fire, and other emergency and safety services
- Manage student life budget in a fiscally responsible manner
- Work a flexible yet predictable schedule that is optimized for collegiality with other directors and supervision of evening and weekend program and staff (i.e. weekday, evening, and weekend presence)
- Serve as administrator on duty every fourth weekend (more or less as circumstances dictate)
- Work closely with the director of academics to plan and provide faculty training, professional development, support, and challenge.
- Directly supervise the dean(s) of residential life, medical director (nurse), and student life contractors; indirectly supervise all student life staff including dorm parents
- Support the unique and individualized Oliverian approach to student accomplishments and setbacks
- Support other school activities through planning, participation and supervision
- Other as assigned by head of school
To Apply: Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Director of Student Life” in the subject line. Please attach all documents as PDF.
Oliverian is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Competitive salary based on experience and credentials
- Health insurance
- Generous vacation