- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in team building, training, supervisory principles and practices, mentoring, and leadership skills in a professional auditing environment.
- Thorough understanding of risks and controls and the demonstrated ability to direct and/or conduct financial; operational; compliance; fraud, waste, and abuse; and information systems audits. Maintains knowledge of new technology, changing control risks and related control techniques.
- Comprehensive knowledge of auditing principles, theories, and application, to include Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), International Professional Practice Framework (IPPF) by the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA), Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS/GAS), Control Objectives for Information and related Technology (COBIT), and accounting pronouncements and industry guidance in accordance with the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and IT security frameworks and protocols.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and apply audit principles and concepts in the conduct of a variety of audits, concurrent audit tests, and conventional audits, and evaluate data, business processes, assess alternatives from financial and non-financial data to formulate logical and sound decisions, conclusions, and/or recommendations, accountability, performance, and efficiencies.
- Must have experience interpreting and applying pertinent laws and regulations to specific situations.
- Advanced knowledge of tools and techniques needed to review and assess controls in computerized information systems and their environments, using accounting systems, enterprise resource planning applications, and other information systems.
- Demonstrated ability to establish collaborative partnerships with varied leaders at multiple levels of the University that improve strategic initiatives.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including proven ability to prepare and present clear and concise reports to executive and senior management and Board of Visitors, and articulate complex and/or technical issues to various levels of university stakeholders.
- Advanced technical skills, including experience in development and use of Computer Assisted Audit Techniques (CAATs) and current office software such as MS Word, MS Excel and MS Access.
- Master's degree in accounting, finance, or related field, or Bachelor's degree and significant related experience.
- Relevant experience in internal auditing or public accounting, including 2-3 years of increasingly responsible leadership experience.
- CPA, CIA, CISA, CFE, and/or other relevant professional certification.
- Significant audit experience in a higher education, a plus.
- Previous experience with business processes of large, decentralized organizations.
- Experience using ERP systems such as Banner® by Ellucian and PeopleSoft.
- A level of knowledge, understanding, and application of Client-Server technology, Active Directory, Cloud computing and other Microsoft technologies.
Interested persons must attach a cover letter, a current resume/vita, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses (if available) of three professional references must be submitted to be considered for the position.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
Virginia State University accepts applications through the online Recruitment Management System (RMS) at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. E-mailed, mailed and faxed applications/applications packets will not be accepted. Resumes do not substitute for a completed online state application. Official transcripts and three (3) letters of references will be required upon employment. The selected candidate must pass a criminal background check, including fingerprinting, credit check and must complete a Statement of Economic Interest as a condition of employment, if applicable. Candidates for interview will have an on-site audit writing exercise. Please visit our web site at www.vsu.edu for full position descriptions.