The Head, Industry and Policy Research (Head) will lead thought leadership research activities within the Standards and Advocacy strategic function by overseeing, coordinating, and helping direct research content outputs across the four major CFA Institute research platforms. This position will support the leaders of each platform with the goals of advancing the distinctive mission, voice, and editorial process of each platform; setting clear boundaries to avoid gaps or overlap among the platforms, and enhancing the overall brand of CFA Institute and its research reputation. The Head will be accountable for organizing and leading global efforts to fully coordinate the production of all research content being created across the various research content platforms.
Responsibilities of the position include support for the planning , coordination and creation of research content being developed by the Financial Analyst Journal (FAJ) and the Research Foundation (RF), the Future of Finance initiative (FoF), the Policy and Advocacy Research group, and the Asia Research Exchange (ARX). This work will entail oversight of the publications editors in the selection, development, production, and distribution of dozens of individual research pieces per year. In other words, the Head oversees a focused research content production effort that is agreed across each content producer and consistently aligned with the CFA Institute brand in the eyes of the various audiences CFA institute serves.
The position will be expected to develop strong, collaborative relations with the head of each research platform, including with any related oversight boards (e.g., the Research Foundation Board, the FAJ Advisory Council, the FoF Advisory Board) as necessary, to ensure smooth relations and cooperation amongst the various research producing platforms. As a result, this position requires expertise in research content selection and production, deep investment industry knowledge and background, and strong policy subject-matter expertise.
The position may be located in Charlottesville, VA, New York, NY, or London and will be supported by the Managing Director, Standards and Advocacy.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Build and maintain a highly collaborative and transparent research function within CFA Institute that oversees and aligns all research content produced by the organization.
- Supervise and support the Head, Journal Publications; the Head, Future of Finance; and the Executive Director, Research Foundation; advise on research content matters for the Asia Research Exchange, and – in addition to supporting the four publication producers above – provide further research content leadership to the Regulatory Engagement group more generally.
- Assist the managers of these four CFA Institute research areas, supporting the distinctive mission, voice, and editorial process of each platform in a way that enhances the research quality and consistency and ultimately the reputation of the organization.
- Provide leadership to ensure that topics being selected in one platform are not duplicated in another and that adequate production resources are aligned and coordinated to assure operational efficiencies are found without compromising the clear, distinctive focus of each research platform.
- Proactively work with the functional leaders of each platform to support and align the various Boards, Councils, and committees that oversee individual CFA Institute publications so that the decisions made by and for each publication platform are aligned, collectively focused, and cohesive as a whole.
- Establish an effective process for periodic meetings of all platforms and relevant enablers to agree on editorial themes that are aligned, ensure the quality and relevance of publication content and identify agreed upon content boundaries to avoid gaps or minimize overlap among the research platforms.
- Assist each research publication functional leader with the development of annual strategy plans for research content and publications, including product design, pricing, advertising, etc.
- Develop and manage the annual strategy, budget and work-plan for the Function accordingly.
- Assist each of the various research platforms similarly on strategy, budget and work plan.
- Closely collaborate with Services Delivery staff to ensure adequate input on the selection of content that is most member-relevant and provides maximum member and branding value.
- Work closely and collaboratively with content production and distribution areas to schedule projects efficiently and ensure appropriate planning and resources are brought to bear for the promotion and distribution of the research content.
- Participate in the recruitment and development of Advisory Council, Editorial Board, and referee panel members
- Maintain an awareness and understanding of topics currently of interest to practicing investment professionals.
- Contribute where appropriate to maintaining a network of thought leading investment professionals, academics and other potential contributors as authors, advisors or governing body members.