NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Supervisor-Clinical Cancer Center Lab.
In this role, the successful candidate must have the skills required for the performance of moderately and highly complex testing as follows: Proper specimen collection, including patient identification and preparation, labeling, handling, preservation or fixation, processing or preparation, transportation and storage of specimens,Understanding, implementing and adhering to all standard laboratory procedures; Performing each test method and proper instrument use,Performing preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and calibration procedures related to each test performed, according to manufacturer and/or internal policy and procedure,Understanding, implementing and adhering to quality control policies and procedures;Assessing and verifying the validity of patient test results through the evaluation of quality sample, Quality Control review and evaluation for shifts/trends and corrective action. Instrument and method validation procedures. Development and writing of policies and procedures. Competency assessment of technical staff. New York State and CAP inspection requirements and preparation. Appropriate interpersonal skills for interacting with patients, physicians, and clients and co-workers. Detail oriented, capable of handling stress from irregular workload and demonstrate businesslike and professional attitude at all times. Strong verbal communication skills in English for interpersonal and telephone skills. Strong writing skills to include, but not limited to, legibility, neatness, and completeness of thought.
- Maintains established departmental policies, procedures and professional standards.
- Ensures compliance with all NYSDOH Quality Management System Standards working with & takingguidance from Independent Quality Systems Manager for tri-campus laboratory operations.
- Complies with regulatory agencies by following approved standards and guidelines to ensure quality laboratory operations.
- Maintains quality assurance and quality standards as set by the hospital, cancer center and laboratory.
- Assists in maintaining accurate and timely data base entry via the Laboratory Information System in use.
- Maintains proficiency in all assays performed in the laboratory.
- 'Oversees all Proficiency Testing (PT) processes for NYSDOH and CAP including, but not limited to:a. Coordinating testing assignments with Lead Technologists.b. Ensuring PT testing results are reviewed and submitted in a timely manner.c. Documenting all corrective actions and addendums required.d. Securing PT summary sign offs by Coordinator of Laboratory Services and Laboratory Director in a timely manner.'
- Capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test resultsand either must correct the problems or immediately notify the Coordinator of Laboratory Services orManager, Lab - CCC
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's establishedPerformance specifications.
- Supervises all new instrument and method validations including:Data collation for Coordinator of Laboratory Services review and submission to Laboratory DirectorCoordinating training of all staff on new instrument/method and ensuring proper trainingdocumentation
- The Laboratory Supervisor is expected to coordinate the orientation and training of new employees,
- The Laboratory Supervisor is responsible for in-service training to communicate changes in laboratory practices and/or regulations and compliance.
- The Laboratory Supervisor is expected to:Maintain the Policy and Procedure, Safety, and Infection Control manuals as required.Contribute to the team effort,Exhibit flexibility and adaptability to change, unexpected circumstances, and wide spectrum of laboratory situation agency
- The Laboratory Supervisor is expected to participate in and occasionally asked to oversee and/or review quality assurance projects and/or lOP projects
- A current valid Lab Technologist License
- Qualified as a laboratory supervisor pursuant to the provisions of section 58-1.4C0- of the NYS Clinical Laboratory Subpart 58-1
- Six years of pertinent clinical laboratory experience, at least two years spent working in a clinical lab having a director at the doctoral level
- Working knowledge of laboratory information systems essential.
ASCP'IT certification preferred. Generalist experience preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.